website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

A 17 year old from my city died last weekend of Covid-19. Well, at least that’s what was reported originally, but it seems like the local, country, and state government is at a disagreement over whether or not it was Covid-19. According to our mayor (who I‘m not a fan of), he had no prior health issues. The big story is that he was originally denied treatment because he didn’t have insurance. He was eventually transported to our public hospital where died a few hours after arrival (it’s worth noting both of our local hospitals (one private, one public) both have received “F” ratings from the national health department in recent years, though I think improvements have been made). The details are still a bit murky, but I thought I’d share this story as it hit close to home. 

I’m not going to comment on the healthcare thing, because by now all of you should know damn well where I stand on that issue. I will say that I think it’s absolutely embarrassing for our community, which is actually par for the course when it comes to what we’re famous for nationally (we’re known for being a town split with extreme right/left voters, having a huge homeless drug problem, for a cop who faked a sniper shooting to get attention, amongst other crazy shit I can’t remember right now). I love my community (with my entire soul/heart), but living here can be so sad sometimes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Massive testing ! Massive testing ! Massive testing !

new PM keeps repeating that as absolute priority of his new governement, after receiving a couple of days ago 200k new test kits, last night landed special :CHN planes with 1 million of tests and 2.2 millions of medical face masks that will be distributed to the hospitals

since yesterday, the country has introduced massive testing in an attempt to capture all potentially infected.

_Wn8QU1kT5e3RMgdkQbZNA~al-ie-zdravotn-ck

91630246_3700924136646845_15431375155846

91035110_3699297240142868_45953563938542

90901282_3699297706809488_51227730992881

90764223_3699298376809421_84281501017419

WHO side keep saying the same thing. Be prepared all the time. Test and test nonstop. Unfortunately this all fell on deaf ears. Reaslity is how many countries have the capability and capacity to do mass testing? Here is the rating for all the different countries.

Death/positive %

Best:
Singapore - 0.3%
Thailand - 0.3%
Taiwan - 0.7%
Hng Kong - 0.8%

Good:
Malaysia - 1.2%
United States - 1.4%
South Korea - 1.5%

Moderate:
India - 2.2%
Japan - 3.4%
China - 4.6%

United Kingdom - 4.9%

Poor:
France - 5.7%
Phillippines - 6.7%

Worrying:
Iran - 7.6%
Indonesia - 8.7
Italy - 9.2%

People say statistics given online is just a number. However how truthful can those numbers be? Countries who have the ability to do mass testing will surely have high numbers of cases when they are able to do mass testing on their citizens on daily basis. On the other hand poor countries with poor healthcare may not be able to test their citizens daily and not able to carry out mass testing resulting in lots of undetected cases underway. This is not going to be a good sign.

So which one will we choose here?

1. Countries doing mass testing hence lots of cases detected and lots of cases reported on daily basis.

2. Countries who cannot do mass tesing due to poor healthcare system and not having enough of test kids so many cases go unreported and we only get to see low number of cases on daily basis.

Which country is safer? The country with mass testing or no lack of testing? Hmm.... this is where we see lots of differences.

Edited by up and down

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Are you seriously saying that Italy getting in this situation was only Bad luck? Please tell me that this is Not what you are thinking?

I never talked of bad luck...

I explicitely said that nobody in Europe can't blame the bad management or any other financial mishandling prior to this situation for what's happening right now...

I said that it might be correct to apply some kind of rules to those mistakes/bad behaviours by the most virtuous States when deciding about helping Countries in financial downfall because of their mistakes/bad behaviour...

but at the same time I also said that the virus crisis is something that happened all around Europe and it's about the whole Continent with no distinction, therefore the only way to act is by doing it together and by sharing risks and responsibility to get out of this situation...

what Germany and their acolytes are doing right now is simply shameful and shows how Europe doesn't really exists, how small of human beings are those politicians...

frankly, I don't feel I have anything to share with those people...socially, culturally...and for sure I don't want to make them richer with my money...

8 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I guess thats what you get for helping other countries ...

At least well informed italian people dont think like that ...

Would you prefer it if Germany would send all the italian patients in a critical State that they already accepted back to Italy?

Would you like to send back the 300 ventilators that Germany sent you?

I cant believe that certain southern european nations blame other european nations for their own failures again and again, but i guess thats easier than admitting your own incompetence...

after having stolen (or blocked selling) thousends and thousends?

after cheating on the true numbers of sick people and deaths to fool the financial markets?

our incompetence? then, why now are you all taking the same countermeasures we took a month ago? it means that you are even more idiot than us, not being able to develop a better solution afte seeing those incompetent Nations fall because they just can't do anything correct...

look at your home and your trash before blaming the rest of the world for their problems...

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

On a more important and less political note: is there any theory on how it can still be spreading this much in Italy? I mean, there's been restrictions in various strictness for quite a while now, one would assume people haven't been going about their regular life for a good while and yet there's still thousands and thousands of new cases every single day..

what they will never admit...

this situation has been heavily underestimated and mishandled in the hospitals and in the retirement houses for old and heavily sick people...

in that kind of environment, once someone gets infected, then most likely everybody also gets infected too...then, the operators of these places spread the virus back to their family members and those people further spread the virus between their friends and collegues because they were not tested/they didn't know to have got the coronavirus...

moreover, the quarantine and lockdown measures have been taken too late, which means that in a relatively small area with so many people circulating the virus has been spread all around a lot more than what the numbers show because we just can't test all the people who most likely have got infected (until yesterday, in Lombardy only those with at least 2 out of 3 main symptoms got tested, now since yesterday also those with only 1 sympotm are tested, which could lead to a new increase of positive tests, but a decrease of the percentage of people needing the ICU and of the deaths)...

finally, as I always underline, the big number of deaths is related to the big number of very old people living in Lombardy and to the many people with more patologies prior to the the virus infection, as here we have many people from the other Italian regions coming to be treated for bad or unusual diseases...

put all of this together and you have the perfect storm...

10 hours ago, dcro said:

Apparently, experts are pointing out Atalanta vs Valencia match as one of the main events that accelerated the spread. Interestingly enough, the first Croatian case came from that very match.

Yay Champions League. :p

not saying that's fake news, but surely that match doesn't have the importance they would like to give to it...

the big spread of the virus, as many of us explained before, comes from underestimation and mishandling of the early stages in the health structures (hospitals and retirement houses), where it was obvious that 1 infected people was enough to pass it to hundreds more in just a fraction of a second...

everything else, to me is just clickbaiting and / or an attempt to distract from the true cause of this seemingly endless disaster...

10 minutes ago, phelps said:

what they will never admit...

this situation has been heavily underestimated and mishandled in the hospitals and in the retirement houses for old and heavily sick people...

in that kind of environment, once someone gets infected, then most likely everybody also gets infected too...then, the operators of these places spread the virus back to their family members and those people further spread the virus between their friends and collegues because they were not tested/they didn't know to have got the coronavirus...

moreover, the quarantine and lockdown measures have been taken too late, which means that in a relatively small area with so many people circulating the virus has been spread all around a lot more than what the numbers show because we just can't test all the people who most likely have got infected (until yesterday, in Lombardy only those with at least 2 out of 3 main symptoms got tested, now since yesterday also those with only 1 sympotm are tested, which could lead to a new increase of positive tests, but a decrease of the percentage of people needing the ICU and of the deaths)...

finally, as I always underline, the big number of deaths is related to the big number of very old people living in Lombardy and to the many people with more patologies prior to the the virus infection, as here we have many people from the other Italian regions coming to be treated for bad or unusual diseases...

put all of this together and you have the perfect storm...

Thanks. That thing about testing with only a few symptoms sounds not exactly promising for Brazil, where even with all main symptoms you don't always get tested if you haven't been in a 'risk area' or something (and even if you have been). I fear we're going to see several more 'Lombardias' in the coming weeks, around the world..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, phelps said:

frankly, I don't feel I have anything to share with those people...socially, culturally...and for sure I don't want to make them richer with my money...

Since all of this is pretty much exactly the feeling people here have about Italy, Greece, Spain and so on, and apparently people in those countries feel the same, it really is about time to split it in two, one would assume. Although the effort that would take could probably be saved for later instead of right now.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!