website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

il y a 17 minutes, heywoodu a dit :

Weren't those municipal elections in France a week ago or so? That barely has any effect (yet) on the current numbers, they'd be roughly the same without those elections..

yes agnes buzyn obtained only 16%, a big slap for the presidential party, a record rate of abstention, and the parisians sunbathed in the parks in particular at the Buttes Chaumont by the thousands, which angered Emmanuel Macron who asked the 67 million French people to be confined within the next day, which to this day is still not taken seriously!

Meanwhile, Dutch health authorities (based on experts, of course): doctors, nurses and people working with the elderly should only use personal protective gear like face masks if they or their patient/client is coughing or sneezing, and only when giving personal care and/or bodily contact. Not when the contact stays outside of 1,5 meters or is shorter than five minutes.

Basically they're saying a too big use of face masks doesn't create safety, it creates the illusion of safety. Interesting how every single country has their own experts with totally different opinions and people in their country see what they say as facts (including me) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile, Dutch health authorities (based on experts, of course): doctors, nurses and people working with the elderly should only use personal protective gear like face masks if they or their patient/client is coughing or sneezing, and only when giving personal care and/or bodily contact. Not when the contact stays outside of 1,5 meters or is shorter than five minutes.

Basically they're saying a too big use of face masks doesn't create safety, it creates the illusion of safety. Interesting how every single country has their own experts with totally different opinions and people in their country see what they say as facts (including me) :p 

I read this article and it's kinda like what I think about this mask useful or useless debate. I still think it's the shortage make experts told people not to wear but not the uselessness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html?searchResultPosition=8

3 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I read this article and it's kinda like what I think about this mask useful or useless debate. I still think it's the shortage make experts told people not to wear but not the uselessness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html?searchResultPosition=8

The shortage is a big reason here as well (there have been plenty of calls to donate your masks to your local doctor's office for example, if your masks have been stored in a sterile environment), plus most people just using it wrong. You can use it once, then have to throw it away (or in extreme cases, disinfect it with pretty expensive technologies). If you use it, then take it off and later use it again, it's just senseless.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

It's going to be catastrophic if health workers of all people don't wear masks, one of them could infect hundreds. Just read yesterday of the second nurse in a few days that killed herself after testing positive.

On another matter, I feel like living in a sci-fi dystopic movie...if you turn on the tv every few minutes in addition to or instead of commercials you'll see a blue screen with a creepy voice repeating "Stay home. Plan your day around cleaning your house, doing physical exercise. Stay home. Wash your hands,etc. " - voice over actors are really good.

5 hours ago, orangeman said:

Reading and watching videos about this subject, I would love in 3 months we all look back and say it was an overreaction.  I just lost my mother and my aunt (my closest relative) in the last year to cancer.  Now I live with my dad who isn't super old, but is within the danger zone.  To think of losing him to COVID now is painful.  

Moving the Olympics a year sucks because I was really looking forward to it as always.  But priorities have shifted.  I am a history teacher.  It's not names and dates, it's the people.  I always said this to my students, but now more than ever: We are history.  What will they read about us?  

It's never been easier to be a hero.  Literally, do nothing.  And wash your hands!

Stay safe, friends!

I'm basically in the same stuation, my dad is 78 and he's the last close relative I still have (and at the same time I'm the only close relative he has)...

stay strong and stay safe!

5 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

It's going to be catastrophic if health workers of all people don't wear masks, one of them could infect hundreds. Just read yesterday of the second nurse in a few days that killed herself after testing positive.

On another matter, I feel like living in a sci-fi dystopic movie...if you turn on the tv every few minutes in addition to or instead of commercials you'll see a blue screen with a creepy voice repeating "Stay home. Plan your day around cleaning your house, doing physical exercise. Stay home. Wash your hands,etc. " - voice over actors are really good.

We don't have that last thing with 'hygiene commercials', for a lack of a better word, but I do get sort of the same sci-fi dystopic feeling when turning on CNN with their 'live' cases and deaths counters constantly on-screen.