website statistics

Speed Skating ISU Single Distances World Championships 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah he watched too many Chad Hedrick videos for now, but I gotta hand it to him: being dead and still keeping the pace pretty decently, even going back from 31's to 30's I believe, deserves some respect. Trademark inline skater gone speed skating.

:lol:

we posted the same concept almost at the same time...:lol:

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah he watched too many Chad Hedrick videos for now, but I gotta hand it to him: being dead and still keeping the pace pretty decently, even going back from 31's to 30's I believe, deserves some respect. Trademark inline skater gone speed skating.

Yeah, Michael also has pretty ugly technique.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

As someone who does similar on road (thoughI don’t compete), I can tell you this takes a lot of time, dedication, and effort. It can take days/weeks/months to learn something a proper coach could have taught you in a matter of hours. From what I’ve seen, a lot of people like him and Yego have sloppy looking technique, but they’ve spent a lot of time figuring out how to gain a few centimeters, seconds, etc. I love stories like this.

must remember that he's a successful inline speedskater, taking advantage of the Franch team very good coaches...

so, it's not fully a self-made man...only the ice stuff is "fully personal" (with the help of some friends)...

Just now, dcro said:

At least they're all no Heather Bergsma.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, phelps said:

must remember that he's a successful inline speedskater, taking advantage of the Franch team very good coaches...

so, it's not fully a self-made man...only the ice stuff is "fully personal" (with the help of some friends)...

He trains with Bart Swings though (the inline skating part of the year) :p 

Or Swings trains with French coaches as well, I don't know.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, phelps said:

I’m not actually familiar with him from roller speed skating, so I wasn’t aware of that. 

So he isn’t quite a story then, but I still appreciate what he’s doing. It’s hard to be self-trained, presumably self-funded, and mostly self-supported (mentally)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, dcro said:

he also was a former successful inline speedskater that switched quite late to ice speedskating...that's why they all have awful technique...

years of track/road inline speedskating leave signs in your technique also when you switch completely to the ice version of this sport...

Ryosuke Tsuchiya: huge, huge fan of road cycling, apparently he knows exactly what's going on in all the European races. Also, he collects road racing bikes :d 

Just now, phelps said:

he also was a former successful inline speedskater that switched quite late to ice speedskating...that's why they all have awful technique...

years of track/road inline speedskating leave signs in your technique also when you switch completely to the ice version of this sport...

The technique is actually pretty different. There’s a lot you can do with wheels, that you can’t do with blades (and vice versa). If believe the training has some differences as well, but I wouldn’t really know since I’ve never had proper training.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, phelps said:

Thing is, their straights are often not very good, but some of them have wonderful corner techniques. Nobody does that as nice as Hiroki Hirako did though, who pretty much danced through the corners :wub: