website statistics

Speed Skating ISU Single Distances World Championships 2020

Totallympics

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now it's time for another one of ISU's epic fails, the semi-lottery that is the 500m nowadays.

Hard for me to judge that. I watch a very similar sport where what you do in 200m or 300m matters...

As annoying as it was as a spectator, I do think the 500m 2 race format was better.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Hard for me to judge that. I watch a very similar sport where what you do in 200m or 300m matters...

As annoying as it was as a spectator, I do think the 500m 2 race format was better.

It's really not that hard to judge. There's simply a huge difference between having the inner or outer lane in the last turn at the speeds they have in the 500m - same thing for the 1000m although there the exact same issue is with one of the earlier turns. There used to be two heats to take away that problem, now simply the draw (whether you start inside or outside) decides a major part of what you can realistically reach.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Few bad steps for Kulizhnikov at the start, no WR.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It's really not that hard to judge. There's simply a huge difference between having the inner or outer lane in the last turn at the speeds they have in the 500m - same thing for the 1000m although there the exact same issue is with one of the earlier turns. There used to be two heats to take away that problem, now simply the draw (whether you start inside or outside) decides a major part of what you can realistically reach.

Yeah, I agree it’s a total crap shoot. I didn’t really think about the difference between outer and inner lanes...I was using my roller speed, instead of my ice speed brain :p

Format was definitely better, but the IOC didn’t like adding another day of speed skating to the schedule (which is ridiculous really). The biggest changes I’d love to see in Speed Skating would be: a longer (and better formatted (maybe points/elimination maybe like in roller)) mass start, and a return to the 2 race 500m. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

False start for Ntab. OMG I am shocked.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I agree it’s a total crap shoot. I didn’t really think about the difference between outer and inner lanes...I was using my roller speed, instead of my ice speed brain :p

Format was definitely better, but the IOC didn’t like adding another day of speed skating to the schedule (which is ridiculous really). The biggest changes I’d love to see in Speed Skating would be: a longer (and better formatted (maybe points/elimination maybe like in roller)) mass start, and a return to the 2 race 500m. 

If those two are the only changes...where can I sign? :cheer: 

Ntab's biggest contribution to this world championships will be the trackwalk video he made for/with Dutch TV explaining how to have a good 500m. Basically he explained it like this:

- Start as fast as possible after the gun

- Accelerate as quickly as you can

- Ride good corners with good lines

- Go as fast as possible on the straights

Wow, who would've thought the key to going fast is to go as fast as possible.

Shinhama can go half a second faster if he somehow learns how to control his skating.

Il y a 2 heures, Olympian1010 a dit :

I’m not actually familiar with him from roller speed skating, so I wasn’t aware of that. 

So he isn’t quite a story then, but I still appreciate what he’s doing. It’s hard to be self-trained, presumably self-funded, and mostly self-supported (mentally)

Being a speed skater in France is imho almost the same as being a speed skater in Colombia, so you're right :p

I guess the federation is (almost) not doing anything for him and considering the turmoils in the aforementioned federation at the moment, it's getting even worse to be a speed skater here ...

Fantastic results though :clap:

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ntab's biggest contribution to this world championships will be the trackwalk video he made for/with Dutch TV explaining how to have a good 500m. Basically he explained it like this:

- Start as fast as possible after the gun

- Accelerate as quickly as you can

- Ride good corners with good lines

- Go as fast as possible on the straights

Wow, who would've thought the key to going fast is to go as fast as possible.

Damn, I’ve been doing it wrong :yikes:

:p