website statistics

Medal Contenders who will miss the 2020 Summer Olympic Games

• 2 weeks later...

For Italy:
- F. MONDELLI (Rowing), World champion 2018 4X. Bone cancer (terrible diagnosis :( )
- F. MARRAI (Sailing), n.1 world ranking laser in 2018, unsuitable
- J. HERRERA (Athetics), World finalist 2019 relay 4x100, biceps tendon detachment

- L. BOSETTI* (Volleyball), Word silver MEdal in 2019, Right sholuder 

* in doubt

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

This might be better phrased as “Athletes Who Will Miss the 2020 Summer Olympic Games”, so we talk about the likes of Chloe Esposito too. *Cough*and all the golfers who will skip because of coronavirus*Cough*

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25849102/beatie-deutsch-ultra-orthodox-marathoner/

Beatie Deutsch, she is an Orthodox Jew and also a Marathon runner that had the chance of representing Israel in this year's Olympic games but since the Marathon is held on saturday (Sabbath) she had to give up on this Olympics and she was pretty upset about that she won few marathons here and she concidered to be a pretty good runner but  eventualy somone else got the  place instead.

it's pretty intresting and wierd story and tbh it would have been nice to see her representing Israel as well as the Orthodox jewish community  

3 minutes ago, Dnl said:

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25849102/beatie-deutsch-ultra-orthodox-marathoner/

Beatie Deutsch, she is an Orthodox Jew and also a Marathon runner that had the chance of representing Israel in this year's Olympic games but since the Marathon is held on saturday (Sabbath) she had to give up on this Olympics and she was pretty upset about that she won few marathons here and she concidered to be a pretty good runner but  eventualy somone else got the  place instead.

it's pretty intresting and wierd story and tbh it would have been nice to see her representing Israel as well as the Orthodox jewish community  

Sport transcends faith (and unfortunately for her). I would be interesting to someone from that community at the highest stages though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Sport transcends faith (and unfortunately for her). I would be interesting to someone from that community at the highest stages though.

I agree and Hope that she could find her way to combine the two 

For us, Del Potro most likely.

He just had another surgery in the knee and there just isn't enough time for him to comeback and qualify with any criteria for the games (I think).

Funnily enough, last time he won a medal while entering the competition with protected ranking. This time there isn't even chance for that.

7 hours ago, Dnl said:

I bet no non Jews have ever heard of her.

Picking any day will always be inconvenient for someone so no big deal 

Anyway the no of orthodox Jews in top level sport must be miniscule so not a issue

This must be one of the few areas of human endeavour where Jews don't get their way

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Anyway the no of orthodox Jews in top level sport must be miniscule so not a issue

This must be one of the few areas of human endeavour where Jews don't get their way

Might be the most insensitive thing and xenophobic thing I’ve read on Totallympics in a while, and I’ve read many of bestmen’s posts.

While I agree that her choice in faith doesn’t give her special leeway to dictate the Olympic schedule, we also shouldn’t attack her for what she believes. I 100% disagree with Orthodox Jews on most things, but I also am tolerant of their ways.

2 hours ago, rajiv said:

I’ll tell you the truth for me it does not matter if you heard of her or not she is a part of a community that is worldwide found and known for not being that sport interest so when Beatie got the opportunity to compete but after the change that made by the Olympic Committee in the marathon date and location she could no longer participate meaning she could not compete so it’s not a question of knowledge of the athletes it’s about those who wanted but couldn’t as for the rest of your anti- Semitic comment I just pity you and felt that I have to remind you that  this is no longer Berlin 1936...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.olympic.org/news/amp/international-olympic-committee-announces-plans-to-move-olympic-marathon-and-race-walking-to-sapporo