website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

54 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Looks like China could face a ban from Tokyo Olympics :p

Nah, they’ll be in Tokyo. Though they did set the precedent for banning nations from Olympic competitions due to disease... 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Update some current situations about the coronavirus and potential influence about the sports based on Chinese media and social platform.

1. The situation of Hubei province where Wuhan is is still quite severe. The shortage of in-patient beds and medical staff is somehow relieved but still not fully resolved. Temporary mobile cabin hospitals are continuously being built for patient with mild symptoms, mainly for isolation. These hospitals are made use of sports stadiums and university dormitories including those supposed to hold boxing qualifier. It still takes a long time to control the situation there.

2.  The situation of rest part of China is much better now thanks to the lockdown of Hubei province. The number of daily new patient drops for consecutive 13 days from 800+ to 100+. Some provinces have no new patients now. Although some epidemic prevention control work is still very strict and kinda affect people's daily life, people are more relived and less panic now. 

3. Chinese start to worry about Japan. Not because of Diamond Princess, but the localized infection seem to happen. Chinese think the Marathons and Naked Festival in Japan are extremely risky and that's how the infection in Wuhan started. If no strong and strict actions to take, the outbreak would take place and may cause the cancelation of Olympics.

4. All kinds of sports events in China before April have been canceled for sure and some of them are postponed or replaced. But most Asian Olympic qualifiers still function and Chinese athletes can participate them as long as meeting quarantine requirement. No significant impact for Chinese athletes until now. Hope Asian qualifiers and the most important Olympic Games in Tokyo would be successfully hosted and the outbreak would end soon.

1 minute ago, opruh said:

China did great in stopping the spread of this virus. Kudos especially to the Chinese doctors/nurses working 24/7, they deserve nobel prize and a cover in time's magazine. 

I wouldn't be surprised (actually I would, but let's stay positive) if that doctor gets a 'Person of the year' cover. I mean the doctor who warned about the virus, then got arrested and intimidated by the Chinese government for 'spreading rumours' (including being forced to 'confess'), yet still kept putting his life on the line - both against the government and against the virus - to try and help as many people as he could before sadly catching the virus and dying of it. That dude's a hero.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't be surprised (actually I would, but let's stay positive) if that doctor gets a 'Person of the year' cover. I mean the doctor who warned about the virus, then got arrested and intimidated by the Chinese government for 'spreading rumours' (including being forced to 'confess'), yet still kept putting his life on the line - both against the government and against the virus - to try and help as many people as he could before sadly catching the virus and dying of it. That dude's a hero.

True, if trump got a cover just because he's trump, then the hero doctor deserves it so much more.

6 minutes ago, opruh said:

True, if trump got a cover just because he's trump, then the hero doctor deserves it so much more.

To be fair, literally everyone deserves it more :d But yeah, #TeamDoctor all the way. Anything with nurses and doctors working their lungs out would be fine though.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah Noble Peace Prize for him please.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela