website statistics

Proposals for Continental Olympic Qualifications

Olympian1010

Il y a 1 heure, JoshMartini007 a dit :

Ignoring the whole "convincing the top leagues to release their players" I feel cricket has a better chance at being a permanent member on the Olympic program than Baseball/Softball. The sport actually has a base in Africa (South Africa/Zimbabwe) and it does a better job at adding more diversity. Baseball may add Venezuela/Panama/Nicaragua as nations which rarely compete in team sports, but cricket also has those options (Jamaica/Barbados/T&T/Guyana competing separately) and a more diverse selection in Asia (Afghanistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka) rather than the usual Japan/South Korea

Cricket should pretend to give a f. for a start for that to happen. I mean they didn't even make an application for an additional sport spot in 2024. Sure, it was never going to happen, but that's not really the point. 

Plus the whole other problems that it comes with (facilities, quotas drain, participation of the best players ?...). Basically, the same ones than baseball. 

I can see Baseball5 as a permanent sport at some point.

Edited by De_Gambassi

6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Cricket should pretend to give a f. for a start for that to happen. I mean they didn't even make an application for an additional sport spot in 2024. Sure, it was never going to happen, but that's not really the point. 

Plus the whole other problems that it comes with (facilities, quotas drain, participation of the best players ?...). Basically, the same ones than baseball. 

Baseball5 is still non-existent so it's hard to judge its merit.

Yeah, in reality which ever sport agrees to have their best players will have a huge advantage. In terms of costs I don't see the two sports being much different. Baseball/Softball and Cricket will likely have to wait until another team sport is removed before they are added just so they can use the athlete quotas. The whole point is moot until you can argue that those sports deserve to be in the Olympics more than Field Hockey/Handball/Rugby Sevens/Water Polo.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Spain used to have a decent team a while back. Great Britain has shown they can be competitive in Softball. World Baseball Classic means more internationally than the World Series by the way. 

Maybe it does in Asia just because that's 1 of the only times they go head to head with players from MLB.  But if you ask anyone outside of Japan for his biggest career achievements, I doubt winning the WBC is going to be that high up there.

Baseball isn't a sport that lends itself well to having a major international tournament on the scale of the Olympics.  Combine that with the fact that it's difficult to get all of the best players all together, it will never have the kind of worldwide recognition other sports might.

31 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Cricket doesn't give a fuck about the Olympics. Hell, they even limited the World Cup to 10 nations from the A Division or whatever that's called? Zimbabwe, Scotland, Ireland and UAE that played in 2015 edition were effectively banned from playing in 2019 :wacko:

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Cricket doesn't give a fuck about the Olympics. Hell, they even limited the World Cup to 10 nations from the A Division or whatever that's called? Zimbabwe, Scotland, Ireland and UAE that played in 2015 edition were effectively banned from playing in 2019 :wacko:

The top tier of ICC (India/Australia/England) are not even a bit interested in spreading the game. They reduced the teams and changed the format to ensure that established teams are more likely to advance to later stages. Cricket has no chance of joining Olympics. It is not even part of CWG and level at Asian Games is abysmal. India doesn't take part and Pakistan/Sri Lanka send their C teams. 

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Spain used to have a decent team a while back. Great Britain has shown they can be competitive in Softball. World Baseball Classic means more internationally than the World Series by the way. 

Spain = Venezuela/Dom.Rep. #2 (like Italy = USA #345 and Netherlands = Ned. Antilles #2)...

GBR in softball is USA #423...

let's be honest...nobody cares about international baseball apart from Japan and Korea...

even the Cubans nowadays are a lot more focused on their National League and dream of playing in the MLB rather than in the NT...

not to mention all the other Latin American Nations that don't care at all about anything not being the local winter league and/or the MLB...

12 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, that obviously make sense. I'm pretty sure the entire Israeli team in Tokyo will consist of Jewish players born in USA who have lived their entire lives there and played baseball in NCAA or minor leagues. So much for the baseball diversity :coffee:

obviously it's like that...but the players are a bit better than that...they are well established AA/AAA (with a few former MLB) players...:d

The main obstacle for Olympic cricket is India who refuse to allow any other organisation  to have any control of their national team 

India contributes about 80% of all cricket revenue

England would be reluctant to give up cricket revenue at the height of their summer season 

Australia probably couldn't care either way - they are not so Olympic obsessed as most of their sporting interest is outside Olympic sports

All the other countries have low budgets for cricket and are dependent financially on the big 3 (or big one -India )

But it is true that cricket is a 5 continent sport and the winning country could come from any of the 5 continents .

How many sports - team or individual - can claim that ?

On 20/01/2020 at 09:25, dcro said:

Just as an example, :JPN Takuya Haneda and :NZL Luuka Jones qualified through continental qualifiers in 2008 (Jones essentially got a free quota and finished last). Nevertheless, they both won first canoe slalom medals for their nation in 2016.

Apples and oranges...just checked 2007-2008 WCH results/WC ranking: Haneda was very well in the top 16 if we count one per country (completely deserving his Olympic spot since 16 quotas were available), Jones was not good but still her spot was somewhat acceptable: around 21th place in the one per country ranking with 21 quotas for the event, and no country with at least a canoeist top 30 missed out.

They were no Pita Taufatofua.