website statistics

Proposals for Continental Olympic Qualifications

Olympian1010

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So, what would everyone’s opinion be on the following: We move NZL and AUS to Asian qualifiers, and leave the Continental spots for the smaller nations, or NZL/AUS only qualifier through continental spots when no other nations wish to. Thoughts?

a) team sports: always Oceania and Asia all together...

b) individual sports with 20 or less spots per discipline available overall: same as team sports...

c) individual sports with more than 20 spots available overall per discipline: AUS and NZL still competing among the Asian Nations and 1 spot for the remaining smaller Oceanian Nations if there are 21 to 32 spots available overall, 2 or 3 spots (depending on the interest and the general competitivness among the other Oceanian Nations...no free spots gifted to the Pitas of this world) if the spots available are 33+

however, the best solution would be no Continental representation at all...the X best teams/athletes in the world in any given discipline should go to the Olympic competition...

but I fear that's not an option for anybody...

Edited by phelps

56 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Why are you making the already crowded Asian qualifier even more crowded.

well, in many sports the Asian qualifiers are down to CHN, KOR and JPN...

the remaining Nations are not much better than those small Oceanian Countries outside AUS and NZL...

In team sports the continental representation is merely a problem for Europe, the other continents are happy that they are pretty much granted free quotas despite their decent/poor level compared to second/third European tier.
I would also allow continental spots for crowded events were they are less of an incongruity ...

49 minutes ago, NearPup said:

If we're going to mess with regions I'd rather have SEA + Oceania as a region. Asia is already too crowded as a qualification region as is.

That is the most sensible approach.

SEA region (Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) has geographical proximity to Oceania and will provide some depth in competition. It will also give some extra boost to those countries (since they will have to compete one sport giant (Australia) rather than three (China, Japan, South KOrea).

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

If we're going to mess with regions I'd rather have SEA + Oceania as a region. Asia is already too crowded as a qualification region as is.

I actually wouldn’t mind that either. That might be the best solution so far.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So far the best solution: Put AUS/NZL in Asia, move SEA to Oceania. Both regions get team qualification and individual qualification.

My next question/suggestion. Would it be better to make another qualification region out North Africa and the Middle East? This could encourage greater African participation in sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So far the best solution: Put AUS/NZL in Asia, move SEA to Oceania. Both regions get team qualification and individual qualification.

My next question/suggestion. Would it be better to make another qualification region out North Africa and the Middle East? This could encourage greater African participation in sports.

Sorry but that's just bullshit. Because you remove SEA nations and you also remove Middle east. Then the quotas will be less for Asia, where China, Japan, Korea are gonna qualify most of those. Then remaining quotas must be fought for between South Asia and Central Asia. You just make it like North America.

2 hours ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Sorry but that's just bullshit. Because you remove SEA nations and you also remove Middle east. Then the quotas will be less for Asia, where China, Japan, Korea are gonna qualify most of those. Then remaining quotas must be fought for between South Asia and Central Asia. You just make it like North America.

Wouldn’t less nations benefit India? Those changes would also make more competitive qualification groups.