Men's Handball AHF Asian Championship 2020

Totallympics

26 minutes ago, MHSN said:

we had lots of close matches at the first day of the competition

:UAE 38-11 :HKG

:BRN 45-16 :NZL

:QAT 49-18 :CHN

:facepalm::facepalm:

maybe it's not a bad idea to think about Level A/B competitions in Asian handball.

Luckily, we didn't bother to enter or it will be even closer.

more fun results in Kuwait

:KOR 40-20 :AUS

:IRI 53-21 :NZL

:JPN 39-16 :CHN

:KSA 37-15 :AUS

:KUW 42-18 :HKG

but probably we won't see scores like that any more. we already know top 8 teams and tomorrow matches are only to determine the main round groups. I wonder if all teams take those matches seriously. I assume most of them do, unless some surprising results happen early the day, make other teams to rethink about their strategy ! for example if Iran beats Bahrain, nobody wants to be in the same group as Qatar and Bahrain !

Iraq was a bit unlucky they lost two winnable matches to KUW and UAE. I think they will massacre those weak teams for the 9th place finish.

with both AUS and NZL being eliminated, IHF will award a wild card, so if any European big team loses the European playoffs, there will be a wild card waiting !

and still I wonder why in Asia we have two separate qualificaiton tournaments for the Olympics and World Championships ! :crazy: with Olympic qualifier being held in middle of European club competitions.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

more fun results in Kuwait

:KOR 40-20 :AUS

:IRI 53-21 :NZL

:JPN 39-16 :CHN

:KSA 37-15 :AUS

:KUW 42-18 :HKG

but probably we won't see scores like that any more. we already know top 8 teams and tomorrow matches are only to determine the main round groups. I wonder if all teams take those matches seriously. I assume most of them do, unless some surprising results happen early the day, make other teams to rethink about their strategy ! for example if Iran beats Bahrain, nobody wants to be in the same group as Qatar and Bahrain !

Iraq was a bit unlucky they lost two winnable matches to KUW and UAE. I think they will massacre those weak teams for the 9th place finish.

with both AUS and NZL being eliminated, IHF will award a wild card, so if any European big team loses the European playoffs, there will be a wild card waiting !

and still I wonder why in Asia we have two separate qualificaiton tournaments for the Olympics and World Championships ! :crazy: with Olympic qualifier being held in middle of European club competitions.

Damn that’s a shame. By far one of Iraq’s best sports is Handball. I’ve seen the play, and I’ve been throughly impressed considering what the country’s been through. Hopefully they’ll find success at the Asian or Islamic Games one of these days.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

main round groups

1) :BRN:KSA:JPN:UAE

2) :IRI:KOR:QAT:KUW

top 2 in each group advance to the semifinal and most importantly to the 2021 World Championship

but watching Iran Handball NT is still a torture. they are always close to achieve something but they never do. today after a poor start they slowly came back to the match and Iran even had the lead in middle of the 2nd half but then they simply stopped playing, I checked the highlights, Iran's last goal was scored exactly on 48th minute ! which means our guys didn't score in the last 12 minutes ! :hairpull: and Bahrain was one man down at least 3 times in that period of time, Iran even had a 7m throw (penalty) and still missed them all. I'm sure even Hong Kong and New Zealand could score couple of goals in 12 minutes (where Bahrain was one man down in half of them)

on the positive side, it happened here and not in crucial 2nd round matches. it just made the 2nd round group a bit harder but when our (almost) B team beat Korea and Kuwait during the Olympic qualifier, our full squad A team should be able to do that again but I have a feeling they will find a way to fail, they always do. :wall:

So after the 2nd group day, no surprise in Group 2, Qatar is already qualified for the semifinal and WCh. the last match between Iran and Korea will determine the second team. a draw will be enough for Korea. but Iran has to win. our genius coach decided to save some of his starters today for the last match and despite that Iran led Qatar by 2goals at HT. it was too late for the coach to realize we had a chance to win. :facepalm:

in other groups we have some surprises today, but it seems only a miracle can stop Japan and Bahrain from qualification.

so it's fair say, we already know 3 of Asian teams for the 2021 WCH

:QAT:JPN:BRN with the winner of :IRI:KOR match to join them on Thursday.

hopefully Iran won't below this chance  :pope:

Oh my .. :(:cry: worst possible result. draw. and Iran had 2 goals lead until last 90 seconds. and as usual our handball never fails to fail. and for the 10000th times Iran missed the World Championships by just 1 goal, it doesn't matter how many quotas AHF has, Iran always finishes in the next place.

with only 25 seconds to go and Iran being 2 players down and 1 goal up, we still had the ball and while the ref called for passive play, our stupid coach didn't use his timeout. after that timeout, they could probably kill that 25 seconds to win the match. :wall:

:QAT:BRN:JPN:KOR qualified for the World Championships

Edited by MHSN