website statistics

Sailing ASCON 420 & 470 African Championships 2020

hckošice

35 minutes ago, dcro said:

I wonder if Mozambique was invited just to give this event some kind of legitimacy. :lol:

To be fair Angola was the only African boat to compete in the men's 470 at the last couple of World Championships. This saved them the cost of sending a boat to Italy to claim the quota plus they get to send a female boat too :p

4 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I just wish these "free" continental quotas will be limited in the future, like establishing that the only will be awarded if three or more members from a continent with a current ranking compete in it.

Yes this I’m fine with, but every continent should have a competitor in every sport. In fact, part of my complete overhaul of the Olympic qualification system I’m working on involves getting great participation from developing nations.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes this I’m fine with, but every continent should have a competitor in every sport. In fact, part of my complete overhaul of the Olympic qualification system I’m working on involves getting great participation from developing nations.

I agree each event should have a continent from every continent; however, with so few quotas it's unfair that they get a free pass just because there are no other competitors in their area.

9 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I agree each event should have a continent from every continent; however, with so few quotas it's unfair that they get a free pass just because there are no other competitors in their area.

Fair point. It makes a case that a sport might not deserve a chance but place in the Olympics then...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela