website statistics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Totallympics

Speed Skating ISU European Championships 2020

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The difference is I don’t want those events gone. I found the 50km awesome to watch, albeit a little tedious. The problem with the 10km is the lack of skaters that are competitive. It’s not fun to watch the same people win by large margins. I love skating distance and sprints, but I just find the sprints and epic distance Mass Starts more entertaining than the boring ass time trials.

 

But as a long-time fan, it is fun to see a few people battle it out lap after lap after lap, even if they are the same. As long as there are people cheering them on, that is, it's a whole lot less fun when they're at some dead rink in Kazakhstan or something. There aren't that many events in general where you've got tons of people with real chances anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, heywoodu said:

 

But as a long-time fan, it is fun to see a few people battle it out lap after lap after lap, even if they are the same. As long as there are people cheering them on, that is, it's a whole lot less fun when they're at some dead rink in Kazakhstan or something. There aren't that many events in general where you've got tons of people with real chances anyway.

Fair. I guess it’s more just personal preference. As an athlete, I love time trials. However, as a spectator I favor the sprints and Mass Starts. The Team Pursuit is just interesting because it’s something different, and it adds a new dynamic to the sport.


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Fair. I guess it’s more just personal preference. As an athlete, I love time trials. However, as a spectator I favor the sprints and Mass Starts. The Team Pursuit is just interesting because it’s something different, and it adds a new dynamic to the sport.

In road cycling I like time trials as well. These things boil down to the pure essence of sports: a person battling against him/herself, the elements and the clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In road cycling I like time trials as well. These things boil down to the pure essence of sports: a person battling against him/herself, the elements and the clock.

Of course I could say the same things about Mass Starts from my time as a runner. I agree with that though. I’m just saying that those aren’t necessary the most interesting, exciting, or entertaining events to watch. They should absolutely be kept on the program though.


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

British record for Ellia Smeding on her home track :cheer: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jutta Leerdam with the 2nd fastest time ever in Thialf :bowdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christ, 1:07.09 in Thialf is utterly, completely, absolutely bizarre :hyper: :lol: :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...