website statistics

Speed Skating ISU European Championships 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The difference is I don’t want those events gone. I found the 50km awesome to watch, albeit a little tedious. The problem with the 10km is the lack of skaters that are competitive. It’s not fun to watch the same people win by large margins. I love skating distance and sprints, but I just find the sprints and epic distance Mass Starts more entertaining than the boring ass time trials.

But as a long-time fan, it is fun to see a few people battle it out lap after lap after lap, even if they are the same. As long as there are people cheering them on, that is, it's a whole lot less fun when they're at some dead rink in Kazakhstan or something. There aren't that many events in general where you've got tons of people with real chances anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

But as a long-time fan, it is fun to see a few people battle it out lap after lap after lap, even if they are the same. As long as there are people cheering them on, that is, it's a whole lot less fun when they're at some dead rink in Kazakhstan or something. There aren't that many events in general where you've got tons of people with real chances anyway.

Fair. I guess it’s more just personal preference. As an athlete, I love time trials. However, as a spectator I favor the sprints and Mass Starts. The Team Pursuit is just interesting because it’s something different, and it adds a new dynamic to the sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Fair. I guess it’s more just personal preference. As an athlete, I love time trials. However, as a spectator I favor the sprints and Mass Starts. The Team Pursuit is just interesting because it’s something different, and it adds a new dynamic to the sport.

In road cycling I like time trials as well. These things boil down to the pure essence of sports: a person battling against him/herself, the elements and the clock.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In road cycling I like time trials as well. These things boil down to the pure essence of sports: a person battling against him/herself, the elements and the clock.

Of course I could say the same things about Mass Starts from my time as a runner. I agree with that though. I’m just saying that those aren’t necessary the most interesting, exciting, or entertaining events to watch. They should absolutely be kept on the program though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

British record for Ellia Smeding on her home track :cheer: 

Jutta Leerdam with the 2nd fastest time ever in Thialf :bowdown:

Jesus Christ, 1:07.09 in Thialf is utterly, completely, absolutely bizarre :hyper: :lol: :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu