website statistics

Judo IJF World Tour 2020

Totallympics

• 3 weeks later...

2020 Grand Prix (Tel Aviv, ISR)

the new Judo season started today in Tel Aviv (ISR), where the first Grand Prix event of the year is on stage...

and guess what? the Asian powerhouses dominated the field, with :KOR South Korea winning today's 2 men's Gold Medals awarded (Kim Won Jin, -60kg; An Baul, -66kg) and :JPN Japan taking 2 out of 3 women's weight classes (Natsumi Tunoda, -48kg; Chishima Maeda, -52kg)...

:SLO Slovenia's youngster Kaja Kajzer (women's -57kg) saved the European honour by winning the only Gold Medal that didn't fly to Far East...

Full Results

http://www.ippon.org/gp_isr2020.php

Today's Medal Session Replay

Edited by phelps

Enjoys the good opening of the season by Karolina Pieńkowska and Anna Borowska, because fifth place for Polish judoka is already a success. I enjoy every place in the top eight, it makes me happy. Julia Kowalczyk also fought ambitiously yesterday, but she was unlucky because in the first round she ran into Eteri Liparteliani and after 9 minutes she had to recognize the superiority of Georgian.
In addition, the quick defeats of Agata Perenc and Patryk Wawrzyczek, but here I personally have no great requirements for these two.

An interesting fact is that Mirosław Błachnio (coach of the Polish team) and Jacek Zawdka (president of the Polish Judo Association) set an ambitious goal for Polish players, i.e. places 1-5 in each event they take part in, and that Poland is to bring at least one medal from the Games.

being ambitious is always good...if you are not somehow ambitious, you normally don't get anything in professional sports...

overestimating the chances of your team...well, that's another story...

by the way, I think that winning a medal in Tokyo is not impossible for Poland...Kowalczyk definitely has enough talent to get it (actually, she already won a medal at the last world champs)...

Feels more and more like Sook won't make the Olympics. Really hoping for something from one of our Olympic hopefulls. Would be great to qualify in something but the "usual" sports, but even though we're showing talent in several sports they seem to be lacking the consistency needed to qualify. There are still hopes, but they need to start moving.

1 godzinę temu, phelps napisał:

being ambitious is always good...if you are not somehow ambitious, you normally don't get anything in professional sports...

overestimating the chances of your team...well, that's another story...

by the way, I think that winning a medal in Tokyo is not impossible for Poland...Kowalczyk definitely has enough talent to get it (actually, she already won a medal at the last world champs)...

I prefer to tone my ambitions, because every Olympics in Poland are hopes that these Games will be groundbreaking and we will finally win more than 10 medals. In martial arts I count on Kowalczyk to win a medal on tatami. I am also quietly counting on a surprise on the part of Dorota Banaszczyk in karate, maybe wrestlers will also get something.

finally! today I've seen some flashes from the true Fabio Basile, the Olympic Champion from Rio...:cheer:

he landed a couple of really spectacular ippon throws like only he and a very few other judo players can...

now he only has one fight left...and it won't be an easy one against :ARM Karapetian, as he doesn't like to fight against those guys with unconventional style and a strong wrestling background...

Edited by phelps

so, Basile in the end didn't even have to fight to win his first -73kg GP tournament, as the Armenian Karapetian couldn't show up in the final bout because of a broken finger...

with this win now he's going to consolidate a bit his (still in danger) position in the OQR, but, more than anything, this is going to be a huge boost to his confidence for the next tournaments on his way to the Olympics...

2020 Grand Prix (Tel Aviv, ISR)

Day #2 Recap

Today the European nations took their revenge and won 3 out of 4 weight classes...

and the only non-European title went surprisingly to :AUS Australia, thanks to Katharina Haecker, who won the Gold Medal in the women's -63kg class...

the remaining Gold medal among the women went instead to :GBR Great Britain, thanks to Sally Conway, who dominated the -70kg class...

meanwhile the 2 men's divisions on stage earlier Today were won by the already named :ITA Fabio Basile (-73kg) and by :RUS Arsen Lappinagov (-81kg)...

after Today's results, :JPN Japan and :KOR South Korea still top the medal table with 2 Gold Medals each, followed by :AUS Australia, :SLO Slovenia, :ITA Italy, :GBR Great Britain and :RUS Russia with one Gold Medal each...

Full Results

http://www.ippon.org/gp_isr2020.php

Today's Medal Session Replay