website statistics

Men's Volleyball CEV European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

Very unexpected win. I didn't follow this tournament so far, because i didn't think that Germany had a chance, but maybe i will watch the final. I thought that Germany has been on a downward trajectory the last couple of years thanks to all the best players being too old, but apprently the home advantage has helped this team a lot. I am a bit surprised that France didn't look too convincing so far, weren't they one of the best teams in the world just a couple of years ago?

Germany qualifying both volleyball teams would be great. It is such a shame that the women's handball team and the women's football team messed up, otherwise Germany could have had a record number of teams qualified. Both football teams, both hockey teams, both handball teams, both volleyball teams + maybe men's basketball ... would have been amazing. So far it only happened one time (2008) that Germany qualified at least one team in football/basketball/handball/volleyball, with some luck it could happen again. Also Germany never had more than 5 teams (out of 8) qualified in those 4 sports, with some luck it could have been 7 this time.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Very unexpected win. I didn't follow this tournament so far, because i didn't think that Germany had a chance, but maybe i will watch the final. I thought that Germany has been on a downward trajectory the last couple of years thanks to all the best players being too old, but apprently the home advantage has helped this team a lot. I am a bit surprised that France didn't look too convincing so far, weren't they one of the best teams in the world just a couple of years ago?

I did watch the Matches, but remained very calm, because I thought they'll have no chance anyway and was satisfied that they played generally Pretty well. But now that they are closer to the Olympics than I'd ever expected I am getting nervous. Very nervous. 

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

they still are, but at the same time they are a disfunctional group of players (rather than "a team"), some of them also have disciplinary problems...

sometimes they can perform at the top level despite that, sometimes they just destroy themselves with those troubles...

hace 7 minutos, OlympicsFan dijo:

Only one player matters in german team: Grozer.

When he plays Germany wins medals in World and european championships. When he doesn't play, Germany doesn't even qualify to anything. Probably the team most dependant on a single player in the world.

18 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

I did watch the Matches, but remained very calm, because I thought they'll have no chance anyway and was satisfied that they played generally Pretty well. But now that they are closer to the Olympics than I'd ever expected I am getting nervous. Very nervous. 

Me too, now i would be disappointed if they (and the women's team) wouldn't qualify, although realistically they never had more than an outside chance. The same happened when the women's handball team failed to qualify after almost having secured the semifinal at the world championships. I don't really care about football at the olympics, but i would really like to see german teams in volleyball, handball and basektball. I think team sports are like the backbone of the games. The bad thing about the german men's football team being qualified might be that german tv will show all the matches live and will forget about other sports, but let's hope that they will prove me wrong.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

they still are, but at the same time they are a disfunctional group of players (rather than "a team"), some of them also have disciplinary problems...

sometimes they can perform at the top level despite that, sometimes they just destroy themselves with those troubles...

Sounds like a typical french problem in team sports ...

They also always have great players in basketball but somehow never get it together with the national team and the same was true for their football team for a long time. Also their women's team should have won some major titles by now based on their individual talent.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Me too, now i would be disappointed if they (and the women's team) wouldn't qualify, although realistically they never had more than an outside chance. The same happened when the women's handball team failed to qualify after almost having secured the semifinal at the world championships. I don't really care about football at the olympics, but i would really like to see german teams in volleyball, handball and basektball. I think team sports are like the backbone of the games. The bad thing about the german men's football team being qualified might be that german tv will show all the matches live and will forget about other sports, but let's hope that they will prove me wrong.

Women's handball was the biggest disappointment for me. Whatever happens in Volleyball, it won't come close to that disappointment unless they waste ten match points or something like that. Our Handball women really had the big chance and let it slip out of their hand. Both Volleyball teams on the other hand were and still are outsiders in a very strong tournament and played very well.

21 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Only one player matters in german team: Grozer.

When he plays Germany wins medals in World and european championships. When he doesn't play, Germany doesn't even qualify to anything. Probably the team most dependant on a single player in the world.

I have no clue about volleyball but i think that is too easy of an explanation. Didn't he also play at the 2016 olympics where Germany didn't do anything? He would have to be by far the best player in the world to turn a bad team into a medal contender. I think it is more likely that Germany has had some great coaches recently (Heynen, Giani).