website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

Matías Schulz (Handball GK, olympian 2012, 2016) will retire from the sport (both club and NT) at the end of this season (if there is a season to complete). Decision taken after postponement of the games.

Alpine skier Tina Weirather has retired :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Man, I remember when people pegged her as someone who would a gold medal one day. She never really came back from her first big injury. She did actually manage to put it altogether in Pyeongchang, and I was hoping she could better her performance in 2022 :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Man, I remember when people pegged her as someone who would a gold medal one day. She never really came back from her first big injury. She did actually manage to put it altogether in Pyeongchang, and I was hoping she could better her performance in 2022 :(

Weirather tore the same ACL three times between 2007-2010. In fact she tore both her ACLs in Lenzerheide when she was just 17 yo. It's almost a miracle she continued for an entire decade after that. She still found success after those three big injuries.

The one in Cortina 2010 just before WOG was really unfortunate, it wasn't even a high-speed crash or anything,

Mads Conrad-Petersen (Badminton) will retire after the 2020 Thomas Cup. His doubles partner Mathias Boe announced the same a month ago (well, he would retire after the Olympics if they qualified. If not, the Thomas Cup)

:NOR Synnoeve Solemdal (biathlon) has retired at the age of 30.

Quite frankly her career never recovered from the mononucleosis she picked up in March 2014.

:CHN Zhang Guowei (high jump) has retired at the age of 28. He didn't do anything since winning silver medal at 2015 World Champs save for a 6th place at the World Indoors in 2016. He bombed out in qualifying at Rio Games and 2017 WChamps.