website statistics

Dakar Rally 2020

Totallympics

3 minuty temu, Monzanator napisał:

I prefer Andrzej Mielczarek whom I've first heard doing F1 highlights for TVP in the early 90s. I suspect Mielczarek & Gac are still doing WTCR together for Eurosport now?

Exactly. I'm not a big fan of motorsport, but after leaving the station of Adam Widomski and Sławek Szymczak, there are no personal details in Eurosport, that's why the duo Gac & Mielczarek is most likely to be heard. I wonder how they will solve it this year during the relationship with Le Mans. They will probably need meals in the form of Łukasz Siudak and Wojtek Jakubczyk.

Dakar verifies Alonso's skills. Today, the Spaniard has already lost over 2 and a half hours after he broke the wheel. I am glad that after yesterday's heroic battle Kuba Przygoński rebuilt and goes on to Dakar.

2015 bikes runner-up Paulo Gonçalves of Portugal, four time top-10 finisher, has passed away aged 40 in today's stage.

12:20 Portuguese rider Paulo Gonçalves passed away
Paulo Gonçalves, racing on motorbike no. 8, has passed away from a fall sustained 276 kilometres into today's special. The organisers received an alert at 10:08 and dispatched a medical helicopter that reached the biker at 10:16 and found him unconscious after going into cardiac arrest. Following resuscitation efforts in situ, the competitor was taken by helicopter to Layla Hospital, where he was sadly pronounced dead.
40-year-old Paulo Gonçalves was taking part in his 13th Dakar. He made his debut in 2006 and had finished four times in the top 10, including an impressive performance as runner-up to Marc Coma in 2015. Paulo Gonçalves, the 2013 cross-country rallies world champion, was sitting in 46th place overall after stage 6 of the 2020 Dakar.
The entire Dakar caravan would like to extend its sincere condolences to his friends and family.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Bike rider Edwin Straver of the Netherlands had a bad fall today. Not a fast one, but he came down in pretty much the worst position and had no heart beat for 10 minutes or so...

He has been transported to a hospital in of course critical condition and has broken one of the vertebrae in his neck, so if he survives, the question is how badly he's injured or paralyzed..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I’ve always wondered why we still let people race the Dakar Rally (on bikes) and the Isle or Man TT. They’re arguably some of the most unique events in the world, but is the cost worth it?

When LeMans got dangerous, safety standards were put in place (even if quite delayed). It may be time to take a serious look at these events...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve always wondered why we still let people race the Dakar Rally (on bikes) and the Isle or Man TT. They’re arguably some of the most unique events in the world, but is the cost worth it?

Becouse it's the best rally in the world... It was always a dangerous race, but an enduro bixer/rally driver palmares can't be complete without a Dakar

il y a 9 minutes, Olympian1010 a dit :

When LeMans got dangerous, safety standards were put in place (even if quite delayed). It may be time to take a serious look at these events...

Because, it not on us (or anyone else) to answer that question, but riders only.