website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think my opinion has always been the same: I like to help with things I feel are useful. Copy-pasting results (and formatting them and so on) seems like something that costs time I could very well spend on other things....there are sports for which there are tons of specialized websites with results already, there is just zero reason to create another one instead of simply posting a link to them.

I remember all biathlon or FIS sports or cycling results being posted....but it'd be so much easier to just post a link to the results. 

I know your opinion and I see your point. I can say that if you want to check FIS and UCI results you would have to open two websites, if we post those results you would just surf them while you are on one single site. Also, posting results here would assure they will be available until Totallympics is available, while some federation just remove old results from time to time.

But I agree that copy-pasting costs too much time and for some sports it would not be worth it. But we can find a way to post an external link which directly redirect users to that single event's result, without having to surf the whole federation website to find the results of that event.

2 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I know your opinion and I see your point. I can say that if you want to check FIS and UCI results you would have to open two websites, if we post those results you would just surf them while you are on one single site. Also, posting results here would assure they will be available until Totallympics is available, while some federation just remove old results from time to time.

The first part is a moot point for me: I'm so 100% used to going to certain websites, it's just way easier for me than navigating on a forum (if I want cycling results, I just type 'proc' in my browser, hit Enter and am on ProCyclingStats, for example). The second part can be solved by saving a PDF or results page or something, so there's a backup in case it gets removed. That's arguably way faster than copying all results, pasting them, adapting them to the 'required' format and so on.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Sindo said:

But I agree that copy-pasting costs too much time and for some sports it would not be worth it. But we can find a way to post an external link which directly redirect users to that single event's result, without having to surf the whole federation website to find the results of that event.

Exactly what I meant. For example, biathlon world championships of last season, men's sprint:

https://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/1819/BT/SWRL/CH__/SMSP/BT_C73B_1.0.pdf

I timed it and it took around 10 seconds to find this PDF, mostly because of waiting time while the page was loading :p I don't really see why it would be needed to copy all that stuff and paste it in here (even worse if the nation codes are replaced with flags, so one can't Ctrl + F). Just save the PDF in case IBU removes it years later and there you go (although in this case it won't be necessary because surely it'll always be on Wikipedia :p )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The old forums results sections were a real treasure. If you were looking for something, there was a 95% chance it would be here. All the important events were updated regularly, with results, competitions, schedules, standings.

For the big sports, or the ones i follow closely, like football, tennis, FIS, cycling, darts etc., there are enough places, which i have on speed-typing or in my memory, which i can use faster. But that is probably 5-10% of all sports. 

But for the rest, the forum was my go to site, when i wanted to see some other results or competitions. Rowing, gymnastics, shooting, fencing, table tennis, weightlifting, skeleton, speed skating, short track. I don't know these sports sites, federations, how they post their results. It would take me much more time to find them, rather than come here, go to the Rowing thread and see the most recent results sub-threads, with the results, standings, quotas etc. These things now i look on Wikipedia and pray it is updated regularly ever since we lost the old forum. 

Also many sports have awful sites, when it comes to regularly updated information or general usefulness for sports fans like us. I have had a real headache, when looking for stuff, which are not for the major sports. There are hundreds of sites for tennis, but try looking for weightlifting, or boxing (AIBA), for which there are 2-3 useful sites at most..

I commend the idea and if there are users who would want to do this massive work, hats off.  

41 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The first part is a moot point for me: I'm so 100% used to going to certain websites, it's just way easier for me than navigating on a forum (if I want cycling results, I just type 'proc' in my browser, hit Enter and am on ProCyclingStats, for example). The second part can be solved by saving a PDF or results page or something, so there's a backup in case it gets removed. That's arguably way faster than copying all results, pasting them, adapting them to the 'required' format and so on.

Cycling is a sort of exceptions because there are a lot of specialized websites about this sport. And the same could be said for tennis, football and a few other sports. But these are just a small part of the olympic sports and as @Federer91 pointed out there are some sports for whom not even the international federation itself care about publishing results. One thing we could do is to focus more on sports for which it's not that immediate to find results.

32 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Cycling is a sort of exceptions because there are a lot of specialized websites about this sport. And the same could be said for tennis, football and a few other sports. But these are just a small part of the olympic sports and as @Federer91 pointed out there are some sports for whom not even the international federation itself care about publishing results. One thing we could do is to focus more on sports for which it's not that immediate to find results.

This is exactly what I think could in fact be valuable, yes.

On 01/01/2020 at 14:12, heywoodu said:

Exactly what I meant. For example, biathlon world championships of last season, men's sprint:

https://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/1819/BT/SWRL/CH__/SMSP/BT_C73B_1.0.pdf

I timed it and it took around 10 seconds to find this PDF, mostly because of waiting time while the page was loading :p I don't really see why it would be needed to copy all that stuff and paste it in here (even worse if the nation codes are replaced with flags, so one can't Ctrl + F). Just save the PDF in case IBU removes it years later and there you go (although in this case it won't be necessary because surely it'll always be on Wikipedia :p )

Well, you're the one who knows where to look for it. Totallympics could be a place where people who don't would get to know that - at least that's how I would use it for the disciplines I'm not so close to.

2 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Well, you're the one who knows where to look for it. Totallympics could be a place where people who don't would get to know that - at least that's how I would use it for the disciplines I'm not so close to.

Yes, but showing people where to find (in this case) results for biathlon is a one-time thing that can be done in the OP of a thread. Why would any user on here spend 5 minutes on copying and pasting whole tables of results every single time when a simple link can be enough?

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes, but showing people where to find (in this case) results for biathlon is a one-time thing that can be done in the OP of a thread. Why would any user on here spend 5 minutes on copying and pasting whole tables of results every single time when a simple link can be enough?

I think Sindo said it was to preserve those results in case they ever disappear from those sites, and they would be easy to find here.