website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

@Sindo I think IWF Arab championship is not an Olympic qualification tournament. 

Hello everyone and happy 2020 :toast:

We are into the Olympic Year, Tokyo 2020 will be the third summer Olympic Games since Totallympics' birth (March 2011). The last summer Olympic year was unfortunate for the forum because in 2016 we lost everything and we started again from scratch (for users who joined the forum later: this is the reason why you will not find posts before March 2016).

With the new start, Totallympics changed its skin a little bit, in the old forum we were collecting results of a huge number of sports events. And this is something I would like to start again, of course with the users' help.

In the past few weeks, I have been thinking about and already found some ways to speed up and make it easier the process of copy-pasting results. I am in touch with @Johne, the guy who is working on the IAAF Road to Tokyo Ranking lists. The idea is to find a tool to quickly convert pdf result files into tables we can post here on the forum (or on our results portal). He is working with the R language and has opened a GitHub project about that, so if someone has some skills he/she will be able to help as well.

Of course, I can't realize all this alone, so to make it possible we would need users who are willing to contribute in their free time, without being paid but just for their passion for sports. The more we are, the most events we can provide results for, and the ideal thing would be each user to contribute in his/her favorite sport(s) so that most of the sports will be covered.

Basically the main idea would be to start from our Calendar, where we have all the international sports events listed, and provide links to results, which could be either to our results portal or, to speed up the process, to external results websites. The same could be applied for the schedule of each event before the event start.

I will use this thread to keep you updated about our progresses and of course if anyone has any idea feel free to share it here. This is a long term project and it goes beyond Tokyo 2020, but it would be nice to start working during the Olympic year.

Who is in ? :bounce:

I think my opinion has always been the same: I like to help with things I feel are useful. Copy-pasting results (and formatting them and so on) seems like something that costs time I could very well spend on other things....there are sports for which there are tons of specialized websites with results already, there is just zero reason to create another one instead of simply posting a link to them.

I remember all biathlon or FIS sports or cycling results being posted....but it'd be so much easier to just post a link to the results. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!