web
analytics
Jump to content
Sindo

Totallympics Results Collection

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone and happy 2020 :toast:

 

We are into the Olympic Year, Tokyo 2020 will be the third summer Olympic Games since Totallympics' birth (March 2011). The last summer Olympic year was unfortunate for the forum because in 2016 we lost everything and we started again from scratch (for users who joined the forum later: this is the reason why you will not find posts before March 2016).

 

With the new start, Totallympics changed its skin a little bit, in the old forum we were collecting results of a huge number of sports events. And this is something I would like to start again, of course with the users' help.

 

In the past few weeks, I have been thinking about and already found some ways to speed up and make it easier the process of copy-pasting results. I am in touch with @Johne, the guy who is working on the IAAF Road to Tokyo Ranking lists. The idea is to find a tool to quickly convert pdf result files into tables we can post here on the forum (or on our results portal). He is working with the R language and has opened a GitHub project about that, so if someone has some skills he/she will be able to help as well.

 

Of course, I can't realize all this alone, so to make it possible we would need users who are willing to contribute in their free time, without being paid but just for their passion for sports. The more we are, the most events we can provide results for, and the ideal thing would be each user to contribute in his/her favorite sport(s) so that most of the sports will be covered.

 

Basically the main idea would be to start from our Calendar, where we have all the international sports events listed, and provide links to results, which could be either to our results portal or, to speed up the process, to external results websites. The same could be applied for the schedule of each event before the event start.

 

I will use this thread to keep you updated about our progresses and of course if anyone has any idea feel free to share it here. This is a long term project and it goes beyond Tokyo 2020, but it would be nice to start working during the Olympic year.

 

Who is in ? :bounce:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly actually I use only my mobile device, so i can't be in. Good luck ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think my opinion has always been the same: I like to help with things I feel are useful. Copy-pasting results (and formatting them and so on) seems like something that costs time I could very well spend on other things....there are sports for which there are tons of specialized websites with results already, there is just zero reason to create another one instead of simply posting a link to them.

 

I remember all biathlon or FIS sports or cycling results being posted....but it'd be so much easier to just post a link to the results. 

Edited by heywoodu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think my opinion has always been the same: I like to help with things I feel are useful. Copy-pasting results (and formatting them and so on) seems like something that costs time I could very well spend on other things....there are sports for which there are tons of specialized websites with results already, there is just zero reason to create another one instead of simply posting a link to them.

 

I remember all biathlon or FIS sports or cycling results being posted....but it'd be so much easier to just post a link to the results. 


I know your opinion and I see your point. I can say that if you want to check FIS and UCI results you would have to open two websites, if we post those results you would just surf them while you are on one single site. Also, posting results here would assure they will be available until Totallympics is available, while some federation just remove old results from time to time.

 

But I agree that copy-pasting costs too much time and for some sports it would not be worth it. But we can find a way to post an external link which directly redirect users to that single event's result, without having to surf the whole federation website to find the results of that event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sindo said:


I know your opinion and I see your point. I can say that if you want to check FIS and UCI results you would have to open two websites, if we post those results you would just surf them while you are on one single site. Also, posting results here would assure they will be available until Totallympics is available, while some federation just remove old results from time to time.

 

The first part is a moot point for me: I'm so 100% used to going to certain websites, it's just way easier for me than navigating on a forum (if I want cycling results, I just type 'proc' in my browser, hit Enter and am on ProCyclingStats, for example). The second part can be solved by saving a PDF or results page or something, so there's a backup in case it gets removed. That's arguably way faster than copying all results, pasting them, adapting them to the 'required' format and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sindo said:

 

But I agree that copy-pasting costs too much time and for some sports it would not be worth it. But we can find a way to post an external link which directly redirect users to that single event's result, without having to surf the whole federation website to find the results of that event.

Exactly what I meant. For example, biathlon world championships of last season, men's sprint:

https://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/1819/BT/SWRL/CH__/SMSP/BT_C73B_1.0.pdf

 

I timed it and it took around 10 seconds to find this PDF, mostly because of waiting time while the page was loading :p I don't really see why it would be needed to copy all that stuff and paste it in here (even worse if the nation codes are replaced with flags, so one can't Ctrl + F). Just save the PDF in case IBU removes it years later and there you go (although in this case it won't be necessary because surely it'll always be on Wikipedia :p )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old forums results sections were a real treasure. If you were looking for something, there was a 95% chance it would be here. All the important events were updated regularly, with results, competitions, schedules, standings.

 

For the big sports, or the ones i follow closely, like football, tennis, FIS, cycling, darts etc., there are enough places, which i have on speed-typing or in my memory, which i can use faster. But that is probably 5-10% of all sports. 

 

But for the rest, the forum was my go to site, when i wanted to see some other results or competitions. Rowing, gymnastics, shooting, fencing, table tennis, weightlifting, skeleton, speed skating, short track. I don't know these sports sites, federations, how they post their results. It would take me much more time to find them, rather than come here, go to the Rowing thread and see the most recent results sub-threads, with the results, standings, quotas etc. These things now i look on Wikipedia and pray it is updated regularly ever since we lost the old forum. 

 

Also many sports have awful sites, when it comes to regularly updated information or general usefulness for sports fans like us. I have had a real headache, when looking for stuff, which are not for the major sports. There are hundreds of sites for tennis, but try looking for weightlifting, or boxing (AIBA), for which there are 2-3 useful sites at most..

 

I commend the idea and if there are users who would want to do this massive work, hats off.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

 

The first part is a moot point for me: I'm so 100% used to going to certain websites, it's just way easier for me than navigating on a forum (if I want cycling results, I just type 'proc' in my browser, hit Enter and am on ProCyclingStats, for example). The second part can be solved by saving a PDF or results page or something, so there's a backup in case it gets removed. That's arguably way faster than copying all results, pasting them, adapting them to the 'required' format and so on.

 

Cycling is a sort of exceptions because there are a lot of specialized websites about this sport. And the same could be said for tennis, football and a few other sports. But these are just a small part of the olympic sports and as @Federer91 pointed out there are some sports for whom not even the international federation itself care about publishing results. One thing we could do is to focus more on sports for which it's not that immediate to find results.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sindo said:

 

Cycling is a sort of exceptions because there are a lot of specialized websites about this sport. And the same could be said for tennis, football and a few other sports. But these are just a small part of the olympic sports and as @Federer91 pointed out there are some sports for whom not even the international federation itself care about publishing results. One thing we could do is to focus more on sports for which it's not that immediate to find results.

 

 

This is exactly what I think could in fact be valuable, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be more than willing to provide results for all multi-sports games.


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...