website statistics

Swimming 2020 Discussion Thread

George_D

30 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Why didn't Eurosport show it this year? Budget cuts again? I don't think the ratings could be that dreadful last year for them to completely scrap it. Though when watching it last year, i didn't find it that interesting and the teams were so random, it made no sense. 

maybe...

here in Italy this year it was broadcasted by sky Italia (which is quite amazing for our market, as normally they only show mainstream events like football and motorsports)...

as I wrote, this year the fact that they swam "in the bubble" in the same venue on a short period made it look closer to a regular meet and somehow I liked it more...

I agree that last year it made not much sense with that itinerant format...

moreover, this year we had quite a few big names in very good shape as they had no other big event to focus on, so the show of the single races was definitely a lot more exciting (the bunch of world, continental and national records is there to stand the point)...

all in all, opposed to 2019, I feel this year I didn't waste my time watching it...

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, intoronto said:

Canada's Olympic trials will be timed finals only. Not sure what to think about that

it will favour for sure those athletes swimming multiple races and more in general, it makes it easier to perform top times and climb the rankings also for less experienced athletes...

it also opens the door to a few upsets...

• 2 weeks later...

Very underwhelming Lithuanian Swimming Championships.

Two Olympic Qualifying results, one of which has to be approved by FINA.

A huge handful of Olympic B results

A decent handful of junior records, but still a lot left to be desired if we want to be a competitive squad and not only Danas and the cheerleaders.