website statistics

BMX Cycling 2020 Discussion Thread

Agger

• 4 weeks later...

Reigning world champion Twan van Gendt suffered a bad hand injury during the last big strength session in the gym. He's had surgery and will be out for 8-12 weeks, which he hopes will be in time to qualify and prepare for the Olympics. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn’t sound good at all. I know his crash last week was bad, but this is just :cry:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1090440/kai-sakakibara-medical-coma-bmx-crash

Worth noting that this could be the second male Australian BMX rider to suffer a career ending, and life threatening injury during a race in in this Olympic cycle (of course the other one occurred at the Rio 2016 Olympics)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This doesn’t sound good at all. I know his crash last week was bad, but this is just :cry:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1090440/kai-sakakibara-medical-coma-bmx-crash

Worth noting that this could be the second male Australian BMX rider to suffer a career ending, and life threatening injury during a race in in this Olympic cycle (of course the other one occurred at the Rio 2016 Olympics)

Sam Willoughby crashed at the Chula Vista track in September, after the Olympics. His successor as Olympic silver medalist, Jelle van Gorkom, has already retired as well after a bad training crash early in 2018, which left him in critical condition and in coma for a good while. Luckily he's at least able to live life again, albeit with simple things like getting a cup of coffee going significantly slower.

Hopefully Sakakibara gets out of it relatively well too, at least good enough to lead a semi-normal life.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

We see Great Britain’s Sky Brown, and we raise you one BMX kid.

Some seriously ignorant people in the comments talking about how his parents are endangering him, being dangerous, etc. It’s kinda sad really, but it’s the US so I expect a massive amount ignorance.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, Laraja said:

The dance at the end is the best part :lol:

Literally everyone’s reaction to the video :lol:

Edited by Olympian1010

• 3 months later...

Obviously I searched first, but since I can't find it: no word yet on the Supercross events for this season? Manchester, Papendal and Rock Hill were still supposed to happen, I know Papendal is pretty much cancelled, but no idea about the other two. Meanwhile the world championships are still postponed instead of cancelled I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of months later, Kai Sakakibara hasn't been in a coma for a good while anymore. There's still a big chance of permanent damage, but he is definitely making progress. A while ago, he apparently ordered coffee by himself. The fact that that's a performance to be proud of (which it is!) makes you think about how serious his condition was and still is.

https://www.instagram.com/sakakibarakai/

On 13/06/2020 at 20:22, heywoodu said:

Obviously I searched first, but since I can't find it: no word yet on the Supercross events for this season? Manchester, Papendal and Rock Hill were still supposed to happen, I know Papendal is pretty much cancelled, but no idea about the other two. Meanwhile the world championships are still postponed instead of cancelled I think.

Weeks later and still no word on this. UCI is doing a rather terrible job in keeping people updated. Weirdly, that mostly goes for BMX, since in MTB they do give some updates every now and then. This list seems rather outdated as well, since Papendal for example has already been cancelled a pretty long time ago.

https://www.uci.org/news/2020/covid-19-pandemic-publication-of-lists-of-postponed-or-cancelled-uci-events

Also nothing yet on the Houston worlds?