website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2020 - Cancelled Edition

16 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

The intermediate step in calculating the points from multi-members juries should be changed, not really fair that your individual votes are worth nothing if you are from (the one or maybe two) countries with more than 2-3 users.

I suggest something like 18-15-12-9-8-... Instead of 12-11-10-9-...

Every jury must award equal points as it would be unfair for nations with multi-juries if they have to award more points to other countries whilst receiving 0 themselves.

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Every jury must award equal points as it would be unfair for nations with multi-juries if they have to award more points to other countries whilst receiving 0 themselves.

I think Dunadan means when calculating the points from a multi-member jury giving the 1st place more in the "internal" voting.

4 minutes ago, Agger said:

I think Dunadan means when calculating the points from a multi-member jury giving the 1st place more in the "internal" voting.

Yes, I see now. I thought initially he meant that multi-juries should award more points..

It's rare that a 12 point song from a jury member would receive nothing in the overall vote (it happened I think sometimes). But in the end, it's still the same for all members, their votes count as much as any other member.

I guess we could explore this option though and allowing a public vote on the matter. Maybe national juries should decide themselves the system of distributing their points.

Though I personally love the system currently and it has resulted in the unique situation where Italy (always a big multi-member jury) has always found the overall winner in its set of votes. It kind of shows that it is a good way of finding the overall taste.

It already happened to me that the 12-points song didn't make the cut.

If an Italian likes songs that all other Italians don't there is no way these songs would get points (while this is not true for any other jury looking at recent numbers of participants) - making it more likely that each user's number 1 song will get at least point won't hurt anyone.

And the bigger the sample size, the more the sample is representative of the whole population, of course the jury with more members is much more likely to vote for the overall winner.

20 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

It already happened to me that the 12-points song didn't make the cut.

If an Italian likes songs that all other Italians don't there is no way these songs would get points (while this is not true for any other jury looking at recent numbers of participants) - making it more likely that each user's number 1 song will get at least point won't hurt anyone.

And the bigger the sample size, the more the sample is representative of the whole population, of course the jury with more members is much more likely to vote for the overall winner.

I understand. Well there is no harm to allow a discussion on this. One idea could be that as the national jury adds more members, the internal voting structure changes accordingly. 1 and 2 member juries could have the standard format, 3 and 4 member juries could have a slight change and 5+ member juries could have an additional change.