website statistics

Badminton 2020 Discussion Thread

Griff88

More bad news for the Thomas & Uber Cups Finals.

Indonesia - the most successful team in Thomas Cup history - and 2010 Uber Cup winners South Korea have become the latest countries to pull out of next month's Thomas and Uber Cup Finals, further putting the event in doubt. Concern over the coronavirus pandemic is why the nations have withdrawn, and five of the 16 teams to have qualified for both the Uber Cup and Thomas Cup have now pulled out of the flagship event in Denmark.

Indonesia and South Korea latest to pull out of Thomas and Uber Cup Finals

On 12/09/2020 at 16:10, PHI2019 said:

More bad news for the Thomas & Uber Cups Finals.

Indonesia - the most successful team in Thomas Cup history - and 2010 Uber Cup winners South Korea have become the latest countries to pull out of next month's Thomas and Uber Cup Finals, further putting the event in doubt. Concern over the coronavirus pandemic is why the nations have withdrawn, and five of the 16 teams to have qualified for both the Uber Cup and Thomas Cup have now pulled out of the flagship event in Denmark.

Indonesia and South Korea latest to pull out of Thomas and Uber Cup Finals

Lack of trust to BWF (and Danish government to some extent) is the cause... Indonesia for example are not sure about what will happened if a player contracted COVID during long travel or in Denmark? How to minimize the impact to the team if there are many players from a team got infected? Who will pay for the expenses?

While I agree that BWF needs to address this issue since they did not explain anything about this, I disliked how the Indonesian officials kinda rallying the players to make BWF postpone TUC so Indonesia won't miss a thing. They do not want the tournament go forward as scheduled since they are now withdrawn. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today will finally start the European Junior Championship, and I must admit that i'm hyped about our guys.

Italy haven't any tradition in badminton but the "Project 24" give some important results and some good talents (Caponio, Hamza, Zhou, Frink and so on). Let's hope in a good future for Italy

• 1 month later...