website statistics

Totallympics Sports Review of 2019

Dragon

2019SportsReview.png

Copying an idea from last year.

Readers of this forum nominate your stars of 2019.

1. Male sportsperson of the year:
  2. Female sportsperson of the year:
  3. Team of the year:
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019):
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019):
  6. Greatest moment of the year:
  7. Biggest idiot of the year:
Edited by Dragon
Female sportsman of the year was a very wrong description,...

there are so many athletes and moments that would deserved to be mentioned, that's always almost impossible to come up with a list of this kind and be fully satisfied with it also when reading after some time...

however, those are my picks as they came to my mind tonight...

1 - :USA Caeleb Dressel (Swimming)

2 - even if I'd like to name someone else, I just can't ignore what they achieved in 2019: :NOR Therese Johaug (Cross-Country Skiing) and :NED Sifan Hassan (Athletics) ex-aequo

3 - :USA St.Louis Blues (NHL Hockey)...as of January 2nd, 31st and dead last in the league...in June, NHL Champions (for the first time ever)

4 - :BEL Remco Evanepoel (Cycling)

5 - :AUS Ariarne Titmus (Swimming)

6 - the dramatic 50th over and Super over of the 2019 Cricket World Cup final between England and New Zealand, especially the controversial 3rd last ball of the 50th over (England batting)

7 - not an athlete, not a single person...but the :IOC IOC as an Institution...for their relentless effort to destroy the Olympic Games as we always have known, watched and loved in the past 125 years...

1. Male sportsman of the year: Johannes Høsflot Klæbo :NOR (Runner Up: Alex Cujavante :COL)
  2. Female sportsman of the year: Chloe Dygert Owen :USA (Runner Up: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce :JAM)
  3. Team of the year: US Women’s National Football Team :USA (Runner Up: Springboks :RSA)
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): Oleksii Sereda :UKR
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): Misugu Okamoto :JPN
  6. Greatest moment of the year: 2019 Pacific Games :SAM (Runners Up: Minsk 2019 :BLR, Lima 2019 :PER)
  7. Biggest idiot of the year: Napoli 2019 Website :ITA (Runner Up: Sun Yang :CHN)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

48 minutes ago, phelps said:

7 - not an athlete, not a single person...but the :IOC IOC as an Institution...for their relentless effort to destroy the Olympic Games as we always have known, watched and loved in the past 125 years...

The same organization that has kept those games alive for 125 years through to two world wars, and even before air travel was a thing. While, I agree they make boneheaded moves here and there, this seems a bit undeserved. The Olympics Games, like everything else in life, are an evolving, living event. It seems unfair for the IOC to make changes that reflect the times. While it may not be what you want, it will keep the games living and thriving for another 125 years. 

P.S - I will say that I would be fine giving them this award for moving the Tokyo2020 marathons, that is by far the dumbest move of the year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1. Male sportsman of the year: :KOR Lim Hyo-jun
  2. Female sportsman of the year: :AUS Ashleigh Barty
  3. Team of the year: :ARG Argentina national basketball team
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): I don't know
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): :UKR Daria Bilodid
  6. Greatest moment of the year: hm for me personally Serbia qualifying to handball OQT, and in general Djokovic-Federer Wimbledon final
  7. Biggest idiot of the year: I did not follow scandals much this year so i will vote as @phelps IOC (break dancing is simply NO)

1. Male sportsman of the year:  Karsten Warholm
  2. Female sportsman of the year: Therese Johaug
  3. Team of the year: :SRB Volleyball M + W National Teams
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): Chaurabh Saudary
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): Daria Bilodid
  6. Greatest moment of the year: Well, easy. The fantastic atmosphere and 2 weeks I had the luck to experience during the Ice Hockey World Championships in my home town in Košice. Moments I´ll remember the whole my life. Absolutely amazing two weeks. There anything necessary to say more ? Hard to describe by words, better to look by yourself, one of the many videos about the atmosphere. Slovak Republic, Hockey Republic.

1. Biggest idiot of the year: Max Hauke

1. Male sportsman of the year: :NOR Johannes-Thinges Boe
  2. Female sportsman of the year: :USA Mikaela Shiffrin
  3. Team of the year: :RSA Men's Rugby Team
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): :USA Trevor Lawrence
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): :UKR Daria Bilodid
  6. Greatest moment of the year: Jorge Masvidal vs Ben Askren
  7. Biggest idiot of the year: :USA Antonio Brown

Moment of the Year. Yeah, it was a moment alright :lol:

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Idiot of the year - :BRA Brazilian equestrian federation retroactivelly losing Olympic qualification because nobody remembered to read qualification system. :crazy:

That's some next level shit.

In an ideal world it shouldn't be this way, but maybe you're putting way too much importance in an event that nobody* in Brazil seems to care about, not even the federation which always have focused on show jumping. The team would probably finish last, and I doubt any improvement would come from this participation. It's a sad situation nonetheless.

Spoiler

*of course we may have like 10 people who actually enjoy Dressage.