website statistics

[POLL] How was your 2019 speaking about Sports only?

vlad

[POLL] How was your 2019 speaking about Sports only?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL] How was your 2019 speaking about Sports only?

Bad. very bad, one of the worst I remember...

The start was great,

The first three months were really exceptional (with W Alpine Skiing and W Biathlon WC seasons ending and the most sucessful Winter EYOF of our history in Sarajevo). but from then it was one endless misery full of failures and frustration one after another (from Ice Hockey painful elimination at the home WCh, embarassing U18 Ice Hockey relegation, shamefull IOC and IIHF decision to give China the free quota for Ice Hockey Beijing tournament at our expense, then followed by disastrous summer the 50k Doha farce at the Athletics WCh, no gold and epic failures at the European Games, bunch of real hard luck at Canoe Slalom WCh, Road Cycling WCh, EURO 2020 Football Qualifiers etc... + followed by health issues of our winter sports stars in the start of the new winter sports season)

One year to forget definitely

I only care about artistic and rhythmic gymnastics, so here we go. Overall I think this was a satisfactory year. It could have been a lot better for us Brazilians. In men's artistic gymnastics Brazil had a good year with 4 gold medals at the Pan American Games and 1 gold medal at the World Championships. The men also earned a team berth at the Olympics. The women didn't do so well despite being trained by very expensive coaches. At the Pan American Games they "only" earned three bronze medals, and at the World Championships the women earned one single quota (in theory they can earn 2 more, but 1 of these will be nearly impossible to get). Our rhythmic group got 1 gold medal at the Pan American Games, but they had a disappointing performance at the World Championships. It will be tough to earn Olympic qualification. The biggest surprise this year was Bárbara Domingos who nearly qualified for the individual all-around final at the World Championships and could realistically become the first individual to qualify through her own merits for the Olympics.

I would classify this year as good. I really enjoyed all the winter sport world championships. Crashed Ice had its best season ever. The 2019 Winter Universaide was a great way to start off a year of about 20 multi-sports games. GSSE was good, but not as great as San Marino 2017 in my opinion. The European Games were absolutely delightful once again. Really enjoyed working on the daily podcast for Minsk. It was a special time for sure. The Pacific Games were awesome. Two weeks of highly enjoyable sport, and very good livestreaming. African Beach Games were a success. The African Games were a failure. All of the summer sports world championships were enjoyable. The 2019 Pan American Games were enjoyable. It was my first games as a full journalist, and that was a terrific experience. World Beach Games were an outstanding success. I enjoyed tracking YOG qualification. I’ve been watching more and more sport as the year progressed. This year, I went from fan to journalist. Totallympics Media is probably one of my biggest achievements, and I’ve enjoyed covering a multitude of events for our website. I’m really looking forward to 2020. I’ll be attending my first Olympics in person, and I’ll be visiting Asia for the first time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

personally, I hope to forget this 2019 as quick as possible...

"my" L.A. Kings on the bottom of the NHL ranking...

the Italian Hockey getting more and more a farce (when I thought it was already down to the ground, here it comes the men's U-20 worlds performance to dig deeper than ever)...

"my" L.A. Dodgers ending the season in such a disappointing, depressing way...once again...

"my" Oakland Raiders...simply a mess...and another losing season knocking at the door...

no medals at the Judo worlds...

only 1 bronze medal at the Wrestling worlds...

for the first time ever, Italy won't have a full contingent in the Trap shooting events at the Olympic Games...

no gold medals at the Fencing worlds after so many years...

the Russian farce, the NOP scandal and all the other doping issues here and there making my beloved sports less enjoyable...

finally, the worst of them all...overall, the IOC trying to destroy the Olympic Games I've always watched and loved to build...I don't even know what??? and especially...breakdance replacing Karate in Paris 2024 even before Karate makes its official Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020, which basically awakened once again my suicidal tendencies...:yikes:

2019...what a wonderful year of sport! :rofl::hairpull::facepalm:

p.s. there have been also a lot of highly enjoyable moments...but right now I'm not in the mood of remember them...it's this depressing Christmas period...:nopompom:...you should make this polls in July...:p:lol:

6 minutes ago, Laraja said:

You have to agree that in this case you deserved. Being a Raiders fan is like enjoy sadomasoquism :lol:

Whelp, that’s in my search history now. In California, Raiders fans have a reputation for being absolute assholes. They’re notorious for peeing on opposing teams fans, beating up people in the parking lot, leaving their sections a complete mess, etc. 
I will say that the best thing about being a Lions fan, is that I never have to worry about the post-season since that’s a completely foreign concept to us :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I like 2019 very much and a pretty good year for me.

Tennis

My favorite athlete of all sports Rafael Nadal won two Grand Slams and ending the season as No.1. The Wimbledon Final between Djokovic and Federer and the US open final between Nadal and Medvedev are truly extraordinary and epic game for audience. I'm more than satisfactory as a tennis fan during 2019.

Winter Sports

I like figure skate and curling. Chinese players Sui/Han won WCH and the grand prix final in pairs. Chinese men/ladies single and ice dance are also improving fast. A new star Nathan Chen is born winning over Yuzuru Hanyu in 2019. I really like his style to perform and become a fan of Chen. Women curling team almost grabbed a medal in WCH but failed. it still was a good result during past few years though.

Athletics Swimming Gymnastics

Chinese Team did a quite stable job in WCH of athletics and swimming, no surprise and no new stars, winning 3 gold medals respectively, being stable is good enough for me. Artistic Gymnastics WCH is a disaster, first time 0 gold medal for past 26 years (some good players absence for winning more Olympic quotas, still optimistic for 2-3 golds in Tokyo 2020).

Other Sports

Very happy to see the progress of rowing and slalom canoeing winning several WCH gold medals, women volleyball won the world cup and back to world no.1. But also some terrible moments, men basketball first time ever to lose Olympic qualification in home field FIBA World Cup since rejoin the 1984 Olympic, Judo 0 medals in WCH, Badminton WCH only 1 gold medal and surpassed by Japan.

With lots of happy and sad moments in 2019, overall it still a very good one for me.

4 hours ago, Laraja said:

You have to agree that in this case you deserved. Being a Raiders fan is like enjoy sadomasoquism :lol:

yeah...

not that being a Kings fan since the times of the legendary Marcel Dionne is helping a lot, too...:facepalm:

p.s. not to mention that bunch of losers named Dodgers (the biggest money wasters of the US main team sports)...:hairpull: