website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It isn’t a lie, it’s a difference of opinion. There’s a difference between Discrete and Continuous statistical data. It makes more sense to count years as continuous, and not as discrete. The 21st century began in 2000, not 2001. We’d already lived in the 2000s. 

Why the fuck do you always have to contradict every single fucking thing I post. This wasn’t political, and it wasn’t originally opinion. I just wanted to relive some of the best sporting moments from the last decade. I liked some of the memories people shared, and then the asshole amigos had to come and shit all over another. I fine with people disagreeing with, and I enjoy debating, but the amount of negativity around here sucks sometimes. My intentions with this thread were good. I wasn’t trying to rob your vision of the decade, if anything I was trying to get people to collaborate and remover all the good times from the last few years. It shouldn’t be that hard to just have some threads where we just get along, and talk about sports. I don’t re GER the part in the Olympic Charter where everyone is supposed to argue about every single fucking little thing. My definition of a decade won’t cause anyone bodily harm. It won’t completely change the way we see the world. All of things that happen in the past, present, and future will still happen irregardless of how we group years together. I’m so fucking done with this shit right now. 

Stop pretending to be wiser than an average 2nd grader. USA still follows the Gregorian calendar last time I checked. If you think 21st century started on January 1st, 2000 then you're just spreading lies, period.

There is no difference of opinion on Gregorian calendar or a century lasting 100 years instead of 99. Year 0 was NEVER included in this calendar or the Julian one.

You picked the wrong battle to fight. Now you're just exposing yourself as an average American who thinks Africa is a country. There is no debate for you to win. You're not changing the Gregorian calendar or putting it up for opinions anytime soon. It's not a statistical data to debate, period.

I don't contradict you specifically but I contradict obvious lies you're spreading from time to time (like in Kingdom of Lithuania which was in fact a Grand Duchy).

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Stop pretending to be wiser than an average 2nd grader. USA still follows the Gregorian calendar last time I checked. If you think 21st century started on January 1st, 2000 then you're just spreading lies, period.

I’m not trying to spread lies or take over the world. It’s not a lie. It’s an opinion. We’re all allowed have those, even if they comply us to argue with the same user every fucking day. 

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There is no difference of opinion on Gregorian calendar or a century lasting 100 years instead of 99. Year 0 was NEVER included in this calendar or the Julian one.

I’m going to try an explain my logic here, and with a cool head. All I ask is that you give it serious though instead of trying to come up with your next sick burn. Humans hate the unknown. We choose to label, group, and categorize everything. That’s fine, it’s an evolutionary trait. Years are factual in the fact that one rotation of the Earth around the sun does equal somewhere between 364/365 days. However, there is no “first year”, not at least one that civilization can remember. We hate the unknown, so we choose an arbitrary date, and make that the beginning. Calendars only exist to help us plan our days, keep track of history, and give us a sense of security. Now, you can choose to go be official calendar rules, but for the purpose of this thread I’m counting the last ten years of human history.

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You picked the wrong battle to fight. Now you're just exposing yourself as an average American who thinks Africa is a country. There is no debate for you to win. You're not changing the Gregorian calendar or putting it up for opinions anytime soon. It's not a statistical data to debate, period.

Yes because of the numerous times when I referred to the country of Africa :facepalm:. The point isn’t to win a debate, it’s to inform ourselves and mutually settle differences. The “winner” of a debate is human knowledge. If you come on to this forum only trying to “win” a debate, we’ve already all lost. Now, there is a winner to an argument in the court of public opinion, but even then it’s an asinine victory. You’ve made someone feel worse, reverted to personal attacks, and failed to actually better a situation in any way. I was not trying to change the Gregorian calendar, I was merely offering an interpretation of it. Everything can be statistical data by the way, that’s like the first thing you learn in statistics.

24 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I don't contradict you specifically but I contradict obvious lies you're spreading from time to time (like in Kingdom of Lithuania which was in fact a Grand Duchy).

I am allowed to make mistakes. Now, I do hate owning up to them, and that’s weakness on my side. I was wrong about a part of European history, but to be fair, European history is long and complicated, and not always as clear-cut as modern Europeans make it out to be. I do come on this forum and think “what lies am I going to spread today!”. I come on here to share facts, my opinion, and sometimes a heartfelt post. Sometimes I can interpret facts wrong, and I need to be corrected. I need to work on accepting that I can be wrong.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Back on topic :raspberry:

Any motor racing fan remembers this shitshow. The Le Mans movie had the tyre blowout on the last lap, real life had this:

I’d also add his tragic crash as part of this list. While it’s obviously not one of the best moments of the decade, it’s one of the most important and memorable. I think his crash helped heighten safety standards in US, and open wheel racing. The 4 lap, 3 wide salute to his life is also such a beautiful, poignant moment in motor sports history.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Olympian1010 This time I agree with facts given by @Monzanator (while I don't like the fact he mentions most of Americans being stupid, no matter what I think about it myself).

As there was no year 0, the first century was 1-100. The current century lasts from 1/1/2001 (thank God, it doesn't matter if you read it the logical or the American way of dd/mm ;) ).

However, talking about decades... well, I think these are not as commonly used by historians as centuries, thus these opinions might differ. For example, in most music channels you'll hear about the music of 60s, 70s, 80s.. that would be funny to call music from year 1990 the 80s.

1 minute ago, Vojthas said:

@Olympian1010 This time I agree with facts given by @Monzanator (while I don't like the fact he mentions most of Americans being stupid, no matter what I think about it myself).

As there was no year 0, the first century was 1-100. The current century lasts from 1/1/2001 (thank God, it doesn't matter if you read it the logical or the American way of dd/mm ;) ).

However, talking about decades... well, I think these are not as commonly used by historians as centuries, thus these opinions might differ. For example, in most music channels you'll hear about the music of 60s, 70s, 80s.. that would be funny to call music from year 1990 the 80s.

Yes, decades aren’t really used in historical terms that often for this reason I would imagine. Also, okay the “first year” is year 1. 10-1 = 9 by @Monzanator method. So a decade is actually 1-11, so 2001-2011 is a decade then? That’s why I’m saying calendars aren’t exactly scientific. 

Also, the American method or writing dates is clearly superior, and I will not have it any other way. 

I’d also add his tragic crash as part of this list. While it’s obviously not one of the best moments of the decade, it’s one of the most important and memorable. I think his crash helped heighten safety standards in US, and open wheel racing. The 4 lap, 3 wide salute to his life is also such a beautiful, poignant moment in motor sports history.

SAFER barriers and the deaths of Greg Moore and Dale Earnhardt did more to safety than Dan Wheldon's crash at Las Vegas tbh. Super speedways are a safety hazard for open-wheels cars. Daytona Beach proved this in the 50s and disappeared from the schedule and IndyCar wasn't stupid enough to race at Talladega but they tried to master Las Vegas with tragic consequences. Atlanta was a complete IRL crash fest in the 90s before they got rid of this and it's a small miracle nobody got killed at Texas Motor Speedway yet.

The somewhat infamous Simona de Silverstro 2010 fireball at Texas was probably Holmatro team's worst emergency moment ever (she suffered burned hands & forearms).

Yes, decades aren’t really used in historical terms that often for this reason I would imagine. Also, okay the “first year” is year 1. 10-1 = 9 by @Monzanator method. So a decade is actually 1-11, so 2001-2011 is a decade then? That’s why I’m saying calendars aren’t exactly scientific. 

Also, the American method or writing dates is clearly superior, and I will not have it any other way. 

Don't use that simple mathematics with 10-1. Use an even simplier method: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - and you have a whole decade.