website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

This topic is self explanatory. I think we should try to stick to international sports and Olympics. Moments outside of competition count. Have fun remembering the last decade. You’re all old now.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I can actually pinpoint my best moment exactly.  10:00 London Time Friday 3 August 2012. Athletics Stadium.

During all the first week of the 2012 the crowds had bern enormous - for the cycling road races on Day 1 & Day 2 the crowds along the way had been so huge that the GPS stats for timing could not work because all the wifi bandwidth was being used by spectators.  During the Rowing, spectators crowded the whole 2km length of the bank.

On Friday 3rd, I saw something I had never ever seen in all the years I had been watching athletics - since 1970. The 80,000 stadium for the first event of the morning - the women’s 100 heptathlon hurdles - was absolutely jam-packed full. I was so proud to be :GBR - not only did we have great athletes, not only did we have magnificent volunteer helpers, but we had a stadium-full of local people willing to pay stupid amounts of money to watch a session of athletics with no medals and just heats & qualifiers.

The one moment that sticks out for me is the men's Olympic gold medal hockey match in 2010, just so much on the line, and concluded with the home team winning the gold medal. By doing so, Canada broke the record for the most amount of gold medals ever at a single edition of the Winter Olympics (and in doing so, was also the most successful host of all time). For a country that hosted the Olympics twice before, and never won any gold on home soil, this was the icing on top of the cake. Can't believe it was almost 10 years ago!

Noriaki Kasai's individual silver medal at the 2014 Olympics. The end.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Ester Ledeka’s double gold will arguably go down as one of the greatest stories in Winter Olympic history. I still remember NBC calling that race, and then being like “uhhh, we may have made an early call earlier.” Plus, she was just so dominate in the Parallel GS. Now all that’s been complimented by her first World Cup win (and in the same bib number as her Olympic win).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also have to mention Lindsey Vonn’s 2010 Downhill gold medal. It’s the one event from Vancouver2010 that I can still remember watching. She captivated the nation with that win, and became America’s first ski queen.

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ester Ledeka’s double gold will arguably go down as one of the greatest stories in Winter Olympic history. I still remember NBC calling that race, and then being like “uhhh, we may have made an early call earlier.” Plus, she was just so dominate in the Parallel GS. Now all that’s been complimented by her first World Cup win (and in the same bib number as her Olympic win).

Despite all of that the Americans still can't spell her name right :facepalm:

Just now, Monzanator said:

Despite all of that the Americans still can't spell her name right :facepalm:

I forgot the c didn’t I. I’ve seen it spelled different ways, so now I just get confused. Also, I spell shit wrong all the time on here :p

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I forgot the c didn’t I. I’ve seen it spelled different ways, so now I just get confused. Also, I spell shit wrong all the time on here :p

Of course you did. Katie Ledecky is American last time I checked so I thought you Americans would be familiar with the spelling. Obviously I was wrong.