website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens AR Asian Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

vlad

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Even table tennis has many Chinese players 

but normally they are given the passport of their "new" Country...

in Rugby, that's not always the case...if I'm an Australian playing club rugby in Italy and I'm good, but not good enough to make the Australian NT in the past 2 years, I'm immediately eligible to play for Italy, without even bothering to take the Italian citizenship...

basically, they have the same rules of club competitions, with foreign players allowed to play for a NT, which imho is absolutely crazy and unacceptable...

and this could change a lot of things from your regular rugby tournaments and the Olympic teams, as the IOC has very different ideas about eligibility...

Edited by phelps

Il y a 1 heure, Dragon a dit :

Interesting how strong a team Hong Kong can turn out for Olympic qualifiers.

IOC rules are much stricter than World Rugby rules when it comes to nationality.

Same applies for the Philippines who were quite interesting at last HK qualifier tournament

The squad for Incheon is similar to the team that played on the world circuit this year so, at least for this qualifier because I don't know whether the rules are different here and at the Olympics, HK is a great contender

Il y a 8 heures, Fly_like_a_don a dit :

Nope in Men's it's Japan.

Korea ,Hong Kong and Sri Lanka are all on the same side. (2nd best )

You're overlooking China :CHN, whose recent results indicate the progresses. This summer, they've reached 3 podiums during the 3 stages of the Asian 7s Championships, and one final beating Japan in the semis, eventually finishing 3rd in the standings behind Japan and HK :HKG.

I've seen them play a few weeks ago in Elche and they were way better than what I thought they'd be. 

So my odds are :HKG the favorite in front of  :CHN and then :SRI and :KOR, with maybe :PHI to the semis.

:CHN really is the dark horse here ... they've come out recently as a team to be reckoned with, but a qualification for the Olympics would mean that Tokyo would be the first appearance of China on the global stage since HK 2011 (they've never even been part of the HK qualifier tournament)

Edited by SalamAkhi

1 hour ago, phelps said:

but normally they are given the passport of their "new" Country...

in Rugby, that's not always the case...if I'm an Australian playing club rugby in Italy and I'm good, but not good enough to make the Australian NT in the past 2 years, I'm immediately eligible to play for Italy, without even bothering to take the Italian citizenship...

basically, they have the same rules of club competitions, with foreign players allowed to play for a NT, which imho is absolutely crazy and unacceptable...

and this could change a lot of things from your regular rugby tournaments and the Olympic teams, as the IOC has very different ideas about eligibility...

It's 3 years residency for rugby, and it's changing to 5 years next year.  Still a ridiculous situation of course

Hong Kong will be the favourites to qualify, though other nations (China, Sri Lanka and South Korea) all have a chance for an upset.

Interesting to see Afghanistan competing. A bunch of teams ahead of them withdrew, but I guess they didn't want an 8-team tournament like they had for the women.

59 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Hong Kong will be the favourites to qualify, though other nations (China, Sri Lanka and South Korea) all have a chance for an upset.

Interesting to see Afghanistan competing. A bunch of teams ahead of them withdrew, but I guess they didn't want an 8-team tournament like they had for the women.

I believe :AFG competed at the Asian Games last year too. I can’t remember how good they were though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I believe :AFG competed at the Asian Games last year too. I can’t remember how good they were though.

Perfectly acceptable. Missed the quarter finals on points difference then won the consolation matches to finish 9th,

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They finished 9th, but a few stronger nations didn't attend (Philippines, Singapore). At the 2019 Asia Rugby Series they competed in the second division and finished seventh (top division has eight teams).

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

I thought this was a near-lock for Hong Kong. :dunno:

China or Korea progessing would be meh...

They are still the big favourite, over the past four Asia Sevens Series the only non-Japanese team they lost to was to South Korea in 2017 during the second leg. The nature of the sport and the fact the chasing pack isn't that much weaker means this isn't a near-lock, but Hong Kong would win more often than not.

il y a 13 minutes, dcro a dit :

I thought this was a near-lock for Hong Kong. :dunno:

China or Korea progessing would be meh...

Hong Kong players are mostly of direct anglo-saxon ascendance, I find it more enthralling for rugby to see China progress than HK 

It's not a near-lock but they are still strong favorites, they've played China at four occasions this summer, for the same amount of victories

Edited by SalamAkhi