website statistics

Ice Cross Discussion Thread

Olympian1010

1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

Good crowds, in Kazakhstan. Meh

gettyimages-1186735862-2048x2048.jpg

Speed Skating doesn’t really get any crowds outside of the Netherlands, and a few select events here and there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely horrid weather, small field of skaters, small crowd, but some great racing on the men’s side (and an awesome crash around 14:15 as well):

That weather looks awful. I love the cold weather, but even I would’ve stayed inside that day. Doesn’t seem like very many European skaters made the trip to :USA. Another great track too. I’m seeing quite a nations in the World Rankings, so if Salt Lake wins the bid for 2030...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 years later...

Opening World Championship (basically their version of a WC) is on next Saturday, in Winterleiten, Austria. I believe all events will be streamed on the ATSX Ice Cross Youtube channel, but not entirely sure on that. 

https://youtube.com/@ATSXIceCross?si=Q6l0cLUJtHUEJTaW

19 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Those two North American stops are *really* in the middle of nowhere xD

Aren’t they all? :p

Haven’t heard of any of those cities before. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Opening World Championship (basically their version of a WC) is on next Saturday, in Winterleiten, Austria. I believe all events will be streamed on the ATSX Ice Cross Youtube channel, but not entirely sure on that. 

https://youtube.com/@ATSXIceCross?si=Q6l0cLUJtHUEJTaW

But seriously....did some internet research.   Seems Red Bull dropped the sport in 2019, so obviously a lot lower profile nowadays.  They can't have the Montreals or St Pauls anymore.  so no choice but to go to the smaller resorts.

The 2024 season just started in :AUT Winterleiten. Good opener with unexpected :POL winner in men's competition. This sport is something new for me, but seems very interesting.

Ice Cross World Championships (WC) Winterleiten | Winterleiten, Austria :AUT

Men

Gold- :POL Łukasz Korzestański

Silver- :CAN Robin Worling

Bronze- :FIN Mirko Lahti

Women

Gold- :AUT Veronika Windisch

Silver- :LAT Justīne Zonne

Bronze- :FRA Amandine Condroyer

Edited by Josh