website statistics

Ice Cross Discussion Thread

Olympian1010

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It feels like there used to be 4-5 big events and a couple of smaller events. This calendar just seems like a collection of small events :p 

Yes, when there was no (at least officially) international federation, Red Bull was pretty much in charge. They’d have 4/5 big events a season and that was it. Then they introduced the Riders Cup (early days of the IF) which were mostly 250 events. Last season they changed to the current format 3/4 1000 events, there was only one 500, and 2/3 250 events. Now, we have a bunch more of events, many more countries entering, and the sport is cheaper. The 500 races will be broadcast in the above format. The 1000 races will be the full broadcast format. Most 250s will not be broadcast, but the Russian and Finish federations are very active, so their’s will probably be broadcast in full.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 15/01/2020 at 10:19, heywoodu said:

There are only two 1000-events? :yikes: 

I feel like this too is just going downhill, no pun intended.

Just found out the reason for this. The above average temperatures in Europe (climate change) has been making it hard to create and build the tracks. So they’ve had to cancel the Almaty (250) and Nur-Sultan (1000) events, and move the Igora event (500) to February. To make up for it there’s move events in North America (1 250, and 1 500) now. They’ve also added a 250 to be held in Italy in mid-March.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Second ATSX 500 Event of the season: 

Much better track, with an interesting little bit due to the sun. Racing was much better here in my opinion. I really do hope to see this in the Winter Olympics one day.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Just found out the reason for this. The above average temperatures in Europe (climate change) has been making it hard to create and build the tracks. So they’ve had to cancel the Almaty (250) and Nur-Sultan (1000) events, and move the Igora event (500) to February. To make up for it there’s move events in North America (1 250, and 1 500) now. They’ve also added a 250 to be held in Italy in mid-March.

Don't know what the Almaty and Nur-Sultan events have to do with above average temperatures in Europe, but alright :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Don't know what the Almaty and Nur-Sultan events have to do with above average temperatures in Europe, but alright :p 

Well technically Europe and Asia are the same continent.

Edited by Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well technically Europe and Asia are the same continent.

Sure, sure.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Sure, sure.

I mean they are. It doesn’t make the statement better or worse, I’m just answering your question.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I mean they are. It doesn’t make the statement better or worse, I’m just answering your question.

Right, let's just go ahead and say 'ok'. Too bad weather in Asia is too warm as well and so these had to be cancelled/moved, although I doubt Nur-Sultan would have drawn the big crowds we know from Crashed Ice.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right, let's just go ahead and say 'ok'. Too bad weather in Asia is too warm as well and so these had to be cancelled/moved, although I doubt Nur-Sultan would have drawn the big crowds we know from Crashed Ice.

I don’t know, Ice Hockey is rather popular in Kazakhstan, and they generally have good crowds at most international events.