website statistics

Shooting ASC Asian Championships 2019

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Wow, so the defending Olympic champion hasn't qualified yet

And he has failed to qualify for Olympics . I don't give him a chance to qualify. 

As of now ranking spot goes to :JPN 

So host quota reallocated :KSA.

If not it will go to :VIE ,Tran not the Olympic Champion. 

And quota goes to athlete not NOC in reallocations. 

So a new champion will be crowned. 

Overall, India won the most quotas, six which is impressive since they already qualified nine going into the Asian Championships. This allowed them to pass South Korea for second place in Asia. Also doing well are Japan (though all of those just replaced the host quota) and Thailand with five each and Iran with four. In total, 16 nations qualified at least one quota.

I'm a little disappointed for Golnoush, Pourhosseini, Nekounam and of course Elaheh Ahmadi, specially for Golnoush, :cry: she was close so many times. but after all 6 quotas in shooting considering the situation is a very good result. we will have competitors in 9 out of 15 events in Tokyo.

Actually this is not just good but great result, because of the sanctions, Iran can't import anything related to weapons, including guns and bullets for sport shooting, there is no company in Iran making standard bullets for most of ISSF events and because of that reason they have to train with empty guns most of the time. it seems they call it "dry training". the only way for them to train properly is to train outside of Iran in a foreign camp, and unfortunately because of the financial situation our shooting federation can't afford that for a long period time. they only could train 2 weeks in Hanover, Germany prior to this tournament and that probably helped them a lot.

I wonder what for example Chinese shooters can achieve if they had to train 90% of the year with empty guns,

I have read an article long back about how difficult it is to get bullets in Iran. Even when they get its like precious. 

Most of the shooters in India faced the problem of bullets as they were costly so very few bullets say 10 -20 were used daily or once in 2 days, I think Elavenil had said this in 2015 .

Now a lot of funding is there so good. 

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I'm a little disappointed for Golnoush, Pourhosseini, Nekounam and of course Elaheh Ahmadi, specially for Golnoush, :cry: she was close so many times. but after all 6 quotas in shooting considering the situation is a very good result. we will have competitors in 9 out of 15 events in Tokyo.

Actually this is not just good but great result, because of the sanctions, Iran can't import anything related to weapons, including guns and bullets for sport shooting, there is no company in Iran making standard bullets for most of ISSF events and because of that reason they have to train with empty guns most of the time. it seems they call it "dry training". the only way for them to train properly is to train outside of Iran in a foreign camp, and unfortunately because of the financial situation our shooting federation can't afford that for a long period time. they only could train 2 weeks in Hanover, Germany prior to this tournament and that probably helped them a lot.

I wonder what for example Chinese shooters can achieve if they had to train 90% of the year with empty guns,

I remember having a discussion years ago with someone, I think it was at the 2010 Asian Games where we were discussing where Iran can improve its chances to gain medals (particularly outside of combat sports). My suggestion was shooting, due to them having a base structure at the time and the fact it was a lot easier for women to enter the sport (more medal opportunities). Seeing their improvement over the years despite their difficulties has been inspiring. Congratulations.

10 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I remember having a discussion years ago with someone, I think it was at the 2010 Asian Games where we were discussing where Iran can improve its chances to gain medals (particularly outside of combat sports). My suggestion was shooting, due to them having a base structure at the time and the fact it was a lot easier for women to enter the sport (more medal opportunities). Seeing their improvement over the years despite their difficulties has been inspiring. Congratulations.

if I had to call two sports that Iran have a stronger female squad (comparing to the male squad) one of them is Shooting for sure (the other one is Rowing) there is a simple reason behind it, Shooting was the first sport to re-start for women after the "Revolution" something like 25 years ago. and for Rowing, the sport simply started in Iran for both men and women in 2006, so the men's squad didn't have the head start here unlike all other sports !

beside that there are obvious reasons why Shooting is a better choice for women in Iran, because they don't have to move and wearing extra things won't limit their moves

but it's still hard for me to imagine Iran winning an Olympic medal in shooting (I know some of these guys are capable of that and we had a 5th place finish before) but beside that bullet issue which is the biggest obstacle , there are other problems as well, I mean it's easy to become a top wrestler in Iran, there are good coaches, good wrestlers to train with, in most of the cities but in shooting if they want to train seriously they have to move to Tehran because the only standard shooting range in Iran is based in Tehran. they have to make sacrifices and from what I see none of these girls (who qualified for the Olympics) are from Tehran !

other sports also more or less face the same problems. you have to move to Tehran if you want to become something in that specific sport, and this is not something most people want to do. Shooting is probably worse because unlike Table Tennis you can't practice it anywhere you want.

12 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I have read an article long back about how difficult it is to get bullets in Iran. Even when they get its like precious. 

Most of the shooters in India faced the problem of bullets as they were costly so very few bullets say 10 -20 were used daily or once in 2 days, I think Elavenil had said this in 2015 .

Now a lot of funding is there so good. 

Funding is also important and still an issue here but at least for those top shooters in the national team that's not the main problem. whenever they go to a competition, they bring bullets with themselves, and they have to be careful to not finish them so early. and it's not always easy, I remember during one of the World Cups in Brazil, the Brazilian police detained the entire Iranian squad for few hours (or maybe a day) because of "bringing guns and bullets" to the plane !!! :facepalm:

as far as I know they shoot something like maximum 15 per day. sometimes less. and I'm talking about our Olympians, the situation is much worse for the others. they can train Air pistol/rifle events, those bullets are available in Iran (not probably iSSF standards but still) but training other events with real bullets is simply impossible for anybody outside of the national team.

and people only blame Iran for mixing politics and sports, this is just a small example. there are other examples in other sports how much Iranian athletes are getting hurt because of the "politics"

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

Funding is also important and still an issue here but at least for those top shooters in the national team that's not the main problem. whenever they go to a competition, they bring bullets with themselves, and they have to be careful to not finish them so early. and it's not always easy, I remember during one of the World Cups in Brazil, the Brazilian police detained the entire Iranian squad for few hours (or maybe a day) because of "bringing guns and bullets" to the plane !!! :facepalm:

as far as I know they shoot something like maximum 15 per day. sometimes less. and I'm talking about our Olympians, the situation is much worse for the others. they can train Air pistol/rifle events, those bullets are available in Iran (not probably iSSF standards but still) but training other events with real bullets is simply impossible for anybody outside of the national team.

and people only blame Iran for mixing politics and sports, this is just a small example. there are other examples in other sports how much Iranian athletes are getting hurt because of the "politics"

This makes me wonder how they brought it. When I see a biathlon team travel for example, the rifles are always well separated in heavy metal boxes, with the bullets separated as well and so on. It probably is easy to make mistakes in travelling with that kind of stuff..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!