website statistics

Shooting OSF Oceanian Championships 2019

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

This is even worse than I thought...in every olympic events only 6 official entries (3 AUS, 3 NZL) except men's trap where there are also 1 FIJ and 1 PNG. :facepalm:

That's quite common in Oceania continental events, it's expensive to compete, especially if you have no chance to win.

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

That's quite common in Oceania continental events, it's expensive to compete, especially if you have no chance to win.

Looks like it's getting worse though: 4 years ago (in the same city, Sydney) 16 regulars in men's trap for example...3 FIJ, 3 PNG, 3 SAM, 1 GUM and it's not like they had chance to win, now there are 8 in total. Non AUS or NZL also competed in pistol (and double trap), now they are disappeared. 

I'd love to see a list of Oceania continental qualifiers from countries that aren't :AUS or :NZL when those countries didn't already have a qualification spot (i.e. the qualifying teams/competitors finished ahead of Aus and NZ!)

There can't be too many. :FIJ  in football last time out was an obvious example (and of course not a straight up win for Fiji either). Presume weightlifting?  Maybe Judo/Taekwondo? 

51 minutes ago, dodge said:

I'd love to see a list of Oceania continental qualifiers from countries that aren't :AUS or :NZL when those countries didn't already have a qualification spot (i.e. the qualifying teams/competitors finished ahead of Aus and NZ!)

There can't be too many. :FIJ  in football last time out was an obvious example (and of course not a straight up win for Fiji either). Presume weightlifting?  Maybe Judo/Taekwondo? 

Typically, it's the combat sports (though as Australia gets better it is becoming less frequent), weightlifting and men's rugby sevens. After that it comes down to individual athletes, Kable can hang with the best in men's trap (though I don't think he's favoured to win this time) while Vanuatu's women's beach volleyball team could historically take on Australia (now they're getting a bit old too).

In the end wondering why the Pacific nations can't hang with Australia/New Zealand is the same as wondering why San Marino can't compete with Italy, it's truly a David vs. Goliath scenario.

Oh I know why. 

I was just wondering about examples when the Pacific islanders managed the upset!

(Rugby doesn't count as Australia won the mens qualifier lat time and both Auz and NZ qualified through the world spots for women)