website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH Olympic Games Qualifier 2019

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

If Ghana (on the women's side) cared about developing this sport, why didn't they even show up at the Hockey Series?

It's not exactly a novelty that sparing an Olympic quota for a group of nations will likely cause these same nations to improve eventually.

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

And with that any possible development of women's game in Africa stops...

And who will qualify instead...? South Korea. At last year's World Cup they were 12th, with one tied game and three losses. Then at the Asian Games they tied their worst ever result. In the play-offs they lost both games. And despite all of that, they will still go through based on rankings. :yikes: If there ever was a federation who protected established nations beyond belief... :facepalm:

I'm more for the principle: first you have to get good enough...and then, only then, you should try to be part of the show...

there are so many events (which they kindly declined) they could have used to develop their movement, before ruining the "Jewel of the Crown", the Olympic Tournament...

but no...they should still be allowed to start from the top tier event...no way, my friend...:finger:

Edited by phelps

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

I'm more for the principle: first you have to get good enough...and then, only then, you should try to be part of the show...

Don't worry, FIH too obviously uses the same principle. That's why we very nearly ended up with the same 12 nations qualifying in both tournaments. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Don't worry, FIH too obviously uses the same principle. That's why we very nearly ended up with the same 12 nations qualifying in both tournaments. :p

I'm not worried at all...and they can do whatever they want...

for sure, I'm not going to waste 90 minutes during the Olympic days to watch the Netherlands scoring 25 goals against a poor 5th-tier team going to the Games because we have to protect "universality" in each and every sport and event (just to make an example)...

and in any case, I'm nnot going to follow the Olympics anymore as soon as breakdance becomes part of the schedule...oh, wait...in 2024 we're gonna have breakdancing at the Olympics! :yikes::facepalm::wall::cry:

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

and in any case, I'm nnot going to follow the Olympics anymore as soon as breakdance becomes part of the schedule...oh, wait...in 2024 we're gonna have breakdancing at the Olympics! :yikes::facepalm::wall::cry:

Bullshit and you know it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not exactly a novelty that sparing an Olympic quota for a group of nations will likely cause these same nations to improve eventually.

Not sure, I would need to have a look at all team sports through the years to see how many extremely low-level countries who have been "gifted" a spot at the Olympics have significantly improved in the following years.

Beside, the quota is "reserved" for South Africa because they are dominant in Africa (and it's not sure that they will refuse it), how would you reserve a quota for the other African countries? Another continental quota for Africa? I have big doubts that Ghana/Namibia/whoever would start investing time, resources, money needed to improve if they simply remove the "top 20 in the world ranking" part from the qualification system, since they would still depend on South African performance and their NOC mood. 

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Not sure, I would need to have a look at all team sports through the years to see how many extremely low-level countries who have been "gifted" a spot at the Olympics have significantly improved in the following years.

Beside, the quota is "reserved" for South Africa because they are dominant in Africa (and it's not sure that they will refuse it), how would you reserve a quota for the other African countries? Another continental quota for Africa? I have big doubts that Ghana/Namibia/whoever would start investing time, resources, money needed to improve if they simply remove the "top 20 in the world ranking" part from the qualification system, since they would still depend on South African performance and their NOC mood. 

There is another solution. Ghana/Namibia and other African nations tell South Africa: Enough is enough. If you don't want to take use of continental quota stop participating in continental qualifiers. If Ghana would have won the African qualifiers, their ranking would not have come in picture. 

Just now, Dolby said:

There is another solution. Ghana/Namibia and other African nations tell South Africa: Enough is enough. If you don't want to take use of continental quota stop participating in continental qualifiers. If Ghana would have won the African qualifiers, their ranking would not have come in picture. 

And then South Africa says 'no'. The end.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Dunadan said:

Cameroon definitely comes to mind in women's football. Going from 12th out of 12 at London 2012, to 11th out of 24 in 2015.

#banbestmen

à l’instant, Dunadan a dit :

It goes also for the host nation quota. What's the stade of handball or volleyball in the UK in 2019 ?

Waste of a quota if you ask me...