website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

6 hours ago, hckosice said:

Wait ! What ? :EGY don´t speak the same language like :ALG or :TUN ? :yikes:

No we speak the same language which's Arabic but in different accent or way, In Maghreb countries for instance they mix Arabic words with Amazigh language and French so it's bit harder to understand them,  maybe the Egyptian version of Arabic the most understandable because of Egyptian songs and movies which was widespread in Arabic region and because many Egyptians worked for years in Arabic countries 

Just now, thepharoah said:

No we speak the same language which's Arabic but in different accent or way, In Maghreb countries for instance they mix Arabic words with Amazigh language and French so it's bit harder to understand them,  maybe the Egyptian version of Arabic the most understandable because of Egyptian songs and movies which was widespread in Arabic region and because many Egyptians worked for years in Arabic countries 

I see.

But I meant, the written language, the official one they learn in schools or use at the offices, isn´t the same for all Arabic speaking nations ?

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

Yes it's the same

So if I understand it correctly, The Arabic language is in basic the same (let say the one used in Quran) it´s the official one, peoples write, read and officially use it, but everyone speak in his own dialect, right (Maghrebin, Egyptian, Middle Orient, etc..) ?

Just now, hckosice said:

So if I understand it correctly, The Arabic language is in basic the same (let say the one used in Quran) it´s the official one, peoples write, read and officially use it, but everyone speak in his own dialect, right (Maghrebin, Egyptian, Middle Orient, etc..) ?

Exactly 

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I’ve picked up on that too. I find the Castilian (Spain) and Argentine Spanish the easiest to understand (accept that the Argentine almost have a different language really). The Latin Americans speak to fast for me, Chileans have too much of a lisp, and those in Caribbean have too much of a mix of language that makes their accent hard to understand  

With only my limited Portuguese to go off, I find all South American Spanish speakers to be much easier to understand than the Spanish, who (to my untrained ears) sound like they have a speech deficiency. Much like Portuguese speakers from Portugal to me sound very weird, but that's just because I'm so used to Brazilian Portuguese :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

most of religious people just listen to Quran without understanding a word.

How on earth does that even work? Don't people want to at least know what they're supposed to believe? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

I see.

But I meant, the written language, the official one they learn in schools or use at the offices, isn´t the same for all Arabic speaking nations ?

Here we have 6 local languages and over 200 dialect that's why when you watch an interview or speech of someone the guy stutters much because he doesn't know which dialect(words)  he has to use to be clear 

While in the middle eastern they have one commun language only, they speak it in all the country

We understand their dialect while they cant 

Just now, heywoodu said:

How on earth does that even work? Don't people want to at least know what they're supposed to believe? :d 

Well. most people believe what they don't even know. I know lots of people who are just interested to listen to Quran (mostly elderly people) and I'm 100% sure they don't understand a word but still like it. they just like the sound of it.

There are even competitions (even international competitions) about Quran Recital, some guys try their whole life to recite Quran in the best way and some of them are really good. people just enjoy listening to them. some of them think even if they listen to Quran their sins will be forgiven.

there are some other "weird" things.or for example when someone dies, someone should speak in Arabic in the funeral. nobody understands him but they think that will help his soul ! or when people go to cemetery for their dearests they read two of Quran's Surahs. again without knowing the meaning.

it's just accepted by religious people here that Arabic is a sacred language . we use it in some ceremonies without understanding it ! even in our flag there is something written, that's not in our own language, that's in Arabic. "God is great"

things changed recently. because of the reasons I explained the new generation (mostly non-religious) has some kind of Arabophobia which is sad and racist :(

PS: of course there are translated versions of Quran as well but in Islam you have to read it in Arabic. and I rarely saw religious people being interested in reading the translated version.

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Well. most people believe what they don't even know. I know lots of people who are just interested to listen to Quran (mostly elderly people) and I'm 100% sure they don't understand a word but still like it. they just like the sound of it.

There are even competitions (even international competitions) about Quran Recital, some guys try their whole life to recite Quran in the best way and some of them are really good. people just enjoy listening to them. some of them think even if they listen to Quran their sins will be forgiven.

there are some other "weird" things.or for example when someone dies, someone should speak in Arabic in the funeral. nobody understands him but they think that will help his soul ! or when people go to cemetery for their dearests they read two of Quran's Surahs. again without knowing the meaning.

it's just accepted by religious people here that Arabic is a sacred language .

Exactly what happens here. People usually play recordings of someone reciting some surah from Quran without really understanding the full meaning but they feel the calmness and peace fulness from the recordings.