website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

no idea as you said it's unique, as far as II know ( and I can be wrong) the closest language to Kurdish is Persian and still Persian is not even close. I can assume Kurdish probably has the same roots as Persian.

PS: I think I told you guys in another thread that there is no such a thing as "Farsi" for you guys English speakers. Farsi is the word Persian in Persian language. I mean we call it Farsi but you shouldn't

Technically Kurdish is part of the Indo-Iranic family, so is related to Farsi, Hindi, Punjabi etc.  Which are also part of the large Indo-European family.

But even then I don’t think there is a single standard Kurdish, just lots of dialects.

Edited by Grassmarket

Just now, TomJa said:

Something specific you like, or just your political ideal?

It illustrates a true picture of society. Right and wrong are never concrete. No one is free, but everyone had choice to make themselves free. People can rise above stereotypes. People are all evil, and have to choose good. Elites v. proletariat. Education makes for a better society. 

I could analyze Le Mis for days! The same goes for Animal Farm, The Inferno, Allegory of the Cave, To Kill A Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Ella Minnow Pea, The Odyssey, The Iliad, Heart of Darkness, Things Fall Apart and many more. My favorite books are (in order) Things Fall Apart, Ella Minnow Pea, Animal Farm, The Odyssey, The Inferno, Le Mis. I do have one of the highest language scores in the nation after all. However, there are a lot of books that hate that I haven’t read. 

My 2nd favorite poem is Polish by the way. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

My 2nd favorite poem is Polish by the way. 

:yikes:, what one?

I also like to read US literature from time to time. Now, for example, I read the last part about Robert Langdon Dan Brown.

Just now, TomJa said:

:yikes:, what one?

I also like to read US literature from time to time. Now, for example, I read the last part about Robert Langdon Dan Brown.

Forget the author’s name :facepalm:, but the English version of the title is “The Terrorist He Watches”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, TomJa said:

It wasn't difficult, the author is Wisława Szymborska

My favorite poem is Carlos Drummond de Andrade's poem "The Flower and the Nausea". It barley beats our “The Terrorist He Watches”

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

My favorite poem is Carlos Drummond de Andrade's poem "The Flower and the Nausea". It barley beats our “The Terrorist He Watches”

I know Carlos Drummond de Andrade, but I've never met his work. I have to make up for this loss, but for now I have a lot of sports books to read and the entire Jo Nesbø series about Harrylm Hole.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is honestly is my favorite rendition of any national anthem. While India’s anthem is probably like my 5th favorite, this edition is my favorite recording of a national anthem. It’s also 100 times better than what was performed at the 2010 Commonwealth Games ceremony. 

This rendition is purely in Hindi. The variations that you are seeing in this rendition is because the singers are not only from different regions of India but also belong to different genres of music. It is this diversity which brings the flavour in this rendition which is very popular and is thus the de-facto the unofficial version of the anthem. The rendition that may have been performed at 2010 CWG games ceremony must have been the official version of the anthem. Personally, I prefer the official version with proper protocol for official functions and this version (along with various beautiful versions of Vande Matram) for unofficial programs. 

Also, though our anthem is officially in Hindi, the language used is such that one can easily claim that it is in Bengali or Sanskrit as well. 

If you liked this rendition, you should also check the following video, where a number of artistes sing the same line in different Indian languages and styles. 

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

I can say I understand the basic Arabic (probably more than just the basics) but that doesn't apply to everybody here. yes everybody has to learn some Arabic (in a very low level) at school but then almost everybody forgets it right after the school. (I was a good student and still remember everything :d and probably even learned more)

if you turn your TV in Iran and switch channels, 100% sure you will find at least 1-2 channels showing something in Arabic but it doesn't mean people understand it :d most of religious people just listen to Quran without understanding a word.

but beside that, we have Arabic speaking Iranians, I think for 2 million people Arabic is their first language and Persian comes second.

Yes I know I meant they have good base of Vocabs in Arabic and I know for sorry many non Arabic speaking Muslims' struggle to understand Quran in Arabic so it's much better for them to understand it in their own languages and then read it in Arabic