website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

Just now, hckosice said:

Wait ! What ? :EGY don´t speak the same language like :ALG or :TUN ? :yikes:

I could’ve told you that one...

My high school had a calculus teacher from Egypt (who was also a belly dancer :p)

Watching him, the Iranian girls, the Syrian guy (who’s family is pro-Assad (which I only found out after I caused an argument after a anti-Assad rant), the Moroccan kid, and another student of Middle East background attempt to have conversations was the funniest shit. Eventually, every would agree that English communication was probably the best.

My school actually had a huge amount of non-American students. I’d say there were at least 20 languages spoken at my high school, including some more niche ones like Khmer, Urdu, A Native American language, and a few African ones. We also had your run of the mill French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Hindi, Korean, Russian, and Cantonese. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

But don’t people get insulted when we say Persian? What should I say?

I’ll have to do some research on Kurdish.

Persian and Farsi are 100% the same. if you look closer even those words are almost the same. and no , no insult at all.

Do you know people in Egypt call their country "Misr" (we call it Mesr) , this is the same with Persian and Farsi. they are both correct but Persian is more correct for English speakers.

Just now, mrv86 said:

Nothing dirty about that word, except them being made of plastic.

I didn’t need to know about your use of “toys” and “strap-ons” :facepalm::wacko:. No thank you, not interested :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, MHSN said:

Persian and Farsi are 100% the same. if you look closer even those words are almost the same. and no , no insult at all.

Do you know people in Egypt call their country "Misr" (we call it Mesr) , this is the same with Persian and Farsi. they are both correct but Persian is more correct for English speakers.

Good to know.

Just now, mrv86 said:

Most Spanish speakers joke that Chileans don't talk in Spanish but in "Chilean". I can attest that when they speak solely in jargon, you can't barely identify a single word, and on ocassions, even the context of the conversation is missed.

Argentinians and Uruguayans have a slower pace, and as some point out, their rhythm and pronunciation are influenced by Italian immigration... their most disctintive mark is that their pronounciation of "y" as a "sh".

Caribbean Spanish is indeed very fast and tends to eliminate the last consonant or even the last sillable from most words.

I've been told by other Spanish speakers that we Mexicans tend to sing rather than speak, and that may be true with speakers in central and western Mexico (although never insult anyone outside Mexico City claiming we sound alike, cause you'll be cursed at must surely), but people in the North tend to "yell".

Yes! My Spanish professor has that sing-song type cadence. Haven’t heard the “yell”, but looking forward to it. I must admit my favorite type of Spanish is American White Girl Spanish :p 

Just now, mrv86 said:

I think your past you're waaay past your bedtime kid.

You’re the one talking about plastic “popote” :p

And no, I’ve got an hour till I normally go to bed. Lights are a first and second world luxury, and I intend to use them as much as possible.

16 hours ago, hckosice said:

Just was asking myself,

There any other different countries that speaks different languages but understand themselves without any problem. Like Czechs and Slovaks, The Czechs speaks Czech and Slovaks Slovak but both understand each other and thus can still discuss in their respective languages ?

I mean if there any other countries with different languages having the same thing, like for example :DEN - :SWE or :ESP speaking countries - :POR speaking countries, or how it works in countries like :IND where there many different languages, did peoples understands each other without problems ?

I can say there are only 2 countries in the world we understand their languages , Afghanistan and Tajikistan. but well that's still Persian :d of course with some differences .

but we also have many different languages in Iran, but I think in past 80 years (or something like that) the government forced everybody to learn Persian at school as the official language. but I think for half of the population (or maybe 30%) Persian is not their mother language. if someone travels to the west of the country, no chance you hear people speak Persian in the streets, it's either Kurdish, Azeri or Arabic. (depends on the region) we also have Turkmeni , Balochi and few more derivation of Persian in North and East of the country but it's only Persian in middle of the country (Tehran and nearby provinces)

So I’d say this thread was quite needed looking at the number of pages it’s gotten in only one day.