website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

I missed all the thread but, to answer the original question of hckosice, in the case of spanish it's very easy to understand portuguese. Like, I read something in portuguese and I understand 95% of it easily, only slang or words with a very different root is the only thing I can misunderstand. And I never studied portuguese formaly.

Then there is also familiarity to other latin languages, but not to the same level as portuguese. I would say for a spanish speaker the order from easiest to hardest is portuguese, italian, french and the hardest would be romanian.

Edited by LDOG

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

As someone learning Spanish, this video if very funny. Especially the last 5 minutes. How true is this @LDOG @konig @Manulete @mrv86 @Jur @Cobi?

HAHAHAAH very good video!!, yes, like there are so many countries that speak in spanish, you have MANY diferences between them when you use locals words, in Argentina we have a plus: like we have many italians descendant (my case and more of the 50% of us), you have italians expretions too haha.

When i talk with people from another country who speak in spanish, i dont use "argentinism" because most of them dont get that words.

I presume the problem with our language is we have many Verb Tenses than most of the languages.

1 hora atrás, LDOG disse:

I missed all the thread but, to answer the original question of hckosice, in the case of spanish it's very easy to understand portuguese. Like, I read something in portuguese and I understand 95% of it easily, only slang or words with a very different root is the only thing I can misunderstand. And I never studied portuguese formaly.

Then there is also familiarity to other latin languages, but not to the same level as portuguese. I would say for a spanish speaker the order from easiest to hardest is portuguese, italian, french and the hardest would be romanian.

Same for portuguese

14 hours ago, hckosice said:

Just was asking myself,

I mean if there any other countries with different languages having the same thing, like for example :DEN - :SWE or :ESP speaking countries - :POR speaking countries, or how it works in countries like :IND where there many different languages, did peoples understands each other without problems ?

Talking on my own experience, when I travelled to South America some years ago, I was quite surprised in most countries people spoke or understood Brazilian portuguese to some degree, even those who used "portuñol" and apologized in advance to Brazilian travellers. What I also noticed, and I may be wrong, is that it was easier for portuguese speakers to understand the several forms of Spanish used in SA, and even my Mexican Spanish, than for us to fully understand them, but probably because they spoke too fast for my untrained ears.

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

From a general perspective I agree with @LDOG; I'I've studied French and Italian a decade ago, and though not to a pro level, I still manage to convey my thoughts rather respectably, even if sometimes I get confused regarding the correct name of the verbs in each one, especially those that greatly differ from Spanish, and probably through familiarity and personal point of view, I'd rank Italian the closer to Spanish, then Portuguese, French and Romanian, among "national" romance languages.

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

How true is this @LDOG @konig @Manulete @mrv86 @Jur @Cobi?

Quite close to the actual truth. Slang in each Spanish speaking country is very different, and in the countries with the largest populations ( :ARG:COL:MEX:ESP), each region has their own especific slang which will sound unintelligible in other regions. Just a general suggestion: don't ever use the verb "coger" (to take) in México as it is slang for "to f**k". Also "concha" in Mexico means seashell and at the same time is the name of onf of the most traditional pastries, and "mamado" is most commonly used to refer to a man with big muscles.

For Arabic I think being the language of Quran holly book for Muslims' made much non Arab speakers know basics of Arabic language,  so people from Iran,  Pakistan, many  African countries especially chad has good base in Arabic language,  also Turkish people,  maybe Indonesians and Malaysians especially those who study here in AL Azhar university, Israel so I think Arabic is somehow spread language , ofc like every other language it varies from country to another,  Egyptians don't speak like Maghreb countries or people in Sham areas ( Palestine, Syria and Lebanon) and gulf countries, etc each ethnic groups has different way of expressing language but at the end of the day we understand each other 

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Dolby When I listen to that awesome version of the Indian national anthem made a few years back, it almost sounds like different verses are in different languages. Is that true?

Indian national anthem “Jana Gana Mana” is in Hindi. Our national song “Vande Matram” is in Bengali. Maybe you can share the link to the video to the version you are referring to. 

38 minutes ago, LuizGuilherme said:

I think argentine spanish is the easiest for brazilians, maybe because is the slowest one

Yeah I’ve picked up on that too. I find the Castilian (Spain) and Argentine Spanish the easiest to understand (accept that the Argentine almost have a different language really). The Latin Americans speak to fast for me, Chileans have too much of a lisp, and those in Caribbean have too much of a mix of language that makes their accent hard to understand  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

35 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Talking on my own experience, when I travelled to South America some years ago, I was quite surprised in most countries people spoke or understood Brazilian portuguese to some degree, even those who used "portuñol" and apologized in advance to Brazilian travellers. What I also noticed, and I may be wrong, is that it was easier for portuguese speakers to understand the several forms of Spanish used in SA, and even my Mexican Spanish, than for us to fully understand them, but probably because they spoke too fast for my untrained ears.

From a general perspective I agree with @LDOG; I'I've studied French and Italian a decade ago, and though not to a pro level, I still manage to convey my thoughts rather respectably, even if sometimes I get confused regarding the correct name of the verbs in each one, especially those that greatly differ from Spanish, and probably through familiarity and personal point of view, I'd rank Italian the closer to Spanish, then Portuguese, French and Romanian, among "national" romance languages.

Quite close to the actual truth. Slang in each Spanish speaking country is very different, and in the countries with the largest populations ( :ARG:COL:MEX:ESP), each region has their own especific slang which will sound unintelligible in other regions. Just a general suggestion: don't ever use the verb "coger" (to take) in México as it is slang for "to f**k". Also "concha" in Mexico means seashell and at the same time is the name of onf of the most traditional pastries, and "mamado" is most commonly used to refer to a man with big muscles.

Isn’t your word for a straw (for a drink) the same words Colombians or Venezuelans use to describe a certain part of male anatomy?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

For Arabic I think being the language of Quran holly book for Muslims' made much non Arab speakers know basics of Arabic language,  so people from Iran,  Pakistan, many  African countries especially chad has good base in Arabic language,  also Turkish people,  maybe Indonesians and Malaysians especially those who study here in AL Azhar university, Israel so I think Arabic is somehow spread language , ofc like every other language it varies from country to another,  Egyptians don't speak like Maghreb countries or people in Sham areas ( Palestine, Syria and Lebanon) and gulf countries, etc each ethnic groups has different way of expressing language but at the end of the day we understand each other 

Do the Kurds speak Arabic (maybe @MHSN would be better to ask)? Because when I listen to interviews it doesn’t sound like Arabic. I actually sounds closer to Hebrew or Parsi.