website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

8 minut temu, AlFHg napisał:

People telling here that they can speak 10 languages while you cannot remember how to put accents in French:lol:

congrats to all of you!:bowdown:

French is a stupid language the first time you encounter it. I had to learn it to be able to get along in Paris or Rouen.

18 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

People telling here that they can speak 10 languages while you cannot remember how to put accents in French:lol:

congrats to all of you!:bowdown:

I speak English and very broken Spanish. I feel you bro

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, TomJa said:

French is a stupid language the first time you encounter it. I had to learn it to be able to get along in Paris or Rouen.

Based off this language I’m 95% @TomJa is secretly British. I love French, but just have no desire to learn it outside of a sports context.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

I speak English and very broken Spanish. I feel you bro

I learned most of these languages myself. Slovak and Lithuanian exception, because I had neighbors from the players of Korona Kielce using it I wanted them to teach me something.

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

Based off this language I’m 95% @TomJa is secretly British. I love French, but just have no desire to learn it outside of a sports context.

My private goal was to learn to read L'Equipe and other French newspapers. Also, my favorite football league is Ligue 1.

Just now, TomJa said:

My private goal was to learn to read L'Equipe and other French newspapers. Also, my favorite football league is Ligue 1.

It’d be cool to read the book that my favorite play is based off in its native language.

(Les Mis for those who couldn’t guess. Les Mis is probably one of the 5 great literary works of all time, definitely in the top 3 ones)

Duolingo is interesting to start with any language basically. I started learning German that way, and then I went to language school. I am finishing B1 level now. My Russian is getting rusty when it comes to conversation, but still can use some good Russian books when needed :d 

When it comes to Slavic languages, spoken Polish and Czech are the most difficult for me to understand. 

When I started high school I got from my Chemistry teacher an old stoichiometry workbook from a Croatian author. It was easy to understand until I got to "dušik" and "kositar" which in Serbian are "azot" and "kalaj" N and Sn respectively. :d Luckily, chemical symbols are universal.

I used to learn Greek, Hungarian and Finnish back in the high school days, but it's been 11 years since then. For instance, I only know to count up to five in Finnish, understand few words and know to say this sentence: Haluan puhua ja ymmärtää suomea :lol: 

Edited by Wanderer

3 hours ago, Wumo said:

Funny you have learned Hungarian, but Finnish don't have you interest? Did you get too frustrated with learning Hungarian that you didn't want to learn another Uralic language?

I got frustrated with Finnish. Dude (! ;) ), this language is a combination of everything hard that can be.