website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

3 hours ago, Wumo said:

The other Nordic languages, Finnish,

:spank:Heretics used to be burnt, you know that? :pope:

3 hours ago, Wumo said:

(I'm not really sure if it is considered a Nordic language officially. Uralic langugage is probably more correct

The correct word for that group is "Finno-Ugric", which is part of the Uralic family, while "Nordic" languages (officially "North-Germanic") are part of Indo-European family. Finnish is close to Estonian and is said to be the closest for the Hungarians, which just shows, how far from other languages Hungarian is ;) The thing is emigrants from Ural who came to what's now called Finland didn't meet too many other tribes and this language seems to be closer to the pre-Uralic, while Hungarians met different nations, mostly Turks and it has influences of those.

BTW - the closest languages to Hungarian are... Khanty and Mansi - do you guess, in what sport city you can meet these two?

3 hours ago, hckosice said:

Thank you guys for all answers !

It´s always great to learn about things from different cultures and habits, I would never have had the chance to learn otherwise :)

That’s why I thought this would be a great thread to have. :yes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Anyone here using Duolingo? :p

I was trying to learn Esperanto for a bit, but it was just too hard without anyone to speak it with. Same goes for High Valyrian 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Wumo said:

I also do courses in Spanish, French and Hungarian. Some other languages I consider begin learning are Russian and Polish. 

I can help you with Hungarian and Polish. Russian is also on my "to learn" list, in second place, after Italian, before "something Scandinavian", French (which I'm a little bit afraid of), Spanish and Dutch. I even started Italian, but I'm terribly bad at learning languages alone (while I am really good at learning languages as a rule, which seems strange to me). Finnish is far beyond my interest and after a year of learning it I just know I don't want to :)

@Dolby When I listen to that awesome version of the Indian national anthem made a few years back, it almost sounds like different verses are in different languages. Is that true?

1 hour ago, Wumo said:

Why? :d

There are two stories behind my username.

Firstly, the inspiration for my username comes from a Danish comic strip named WuMo. It's a abbreviation of the surnames of the two men behind the comic strip, comedian, Mikael Wulff, and illustrator, Anders Morgenthaler. 

Their daily comic strip is posted here in English: https://www.gocomics.com/wumo/2019/10/05. It's mostly dark humour.

Maybe you like these two: 

http://wumo.com/wumo/2017/11/04

http://wumo.com/wumo/2018/07/13

Secondly, I watched a lot of sumo wrestling on Eurosport when I was younger. It was so cool!  When I wanted to create an account for Youtube the name Sumo was already taken, so my younger self thought, what rhymes with Sumo and then Wumo came up. 

I used to have the username, Mushroom5690. I have always liked Toad from Super Mario and he was a mushroom so it made sense. 5690 is the postal code for the town where I was born. However many people thought that mushroom referred to "magic mushrooms". I dropped it after that. :p

Just want to point out that @Wumo didn’t deny having magic mushrooms...

57 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

And now I wonder whether there are words in Slovak that is normal but became a profanity/negative words in Czech?

Indonesian and Malay have a lot of these words, and sometimes it caused some trouble for travelers from both countries. For example:

Dadah

Indonesian: This word is used when you ask little kids to wave goodbye to someone else ("C'mon, dadah to grandma before we leave")

Malay: narcotics

Butuh

Indonesian: need

Malay: d*ck

Pusing

Indonesian: dizzy

Malay: turn (left or right)

Banci:

Indonesian: drag queens

Malay: census

Seronok:

Indonesian: Lewd

Malay: Fun

Also there is the word awak which means "you" in Malay but in West Sumatra it means "I" (other regions use different words). Imagine if someone from Malaysia comes to West Sumatra....

As someone learning Spanish, this video if very funny. Especially the last 5 minutes. How true is this @LDOG @konig @Manulete @mrv86 @Jur @Cobi?

Edited by Olympian1010

What’s interesting is the amount of words that are only used in Californian English. Stellar, Gnarly, Down (as in, I’m down, I’m coming down, I’m going down, I’m getting down, You down? (A five of those mean different things)), Dude (which has actually become a gender neutral pronoun, I believe we are the only English dialect with such a thing), Bro, etc.

Californian tends to shorten words, phrases, and sentences. We also use a lot of Spanish, some words have actually essentially become parts of Californian English. 

If I am going to friends house, I might “pop by” “stop by”, “pop in”, “come around” , “come over”, “drop by”, “drop in” , or “hop on over”; bu I’d never “visit”, “drive over” , or “go to my friends house”

55 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

:spank:Heretics used to be burnt, you know that? :pope:

I knew I would get in trouble for writing that. :p  I'm very sorry for what I wrote. :(

My punishment will be my trying to pronounce "lentokonesuihkuturbiiniapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas" correctly. For those who are curious, in English it means "jet engine assistant mechanician non-commissioned officer".

55 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

The correct word for that group is "Finno-Ugric", which is part of the Uralic family, while "Nordic" languages (officially "North-Germanic") are part of Indo-European family. Finnish is close to Estonian and is said to be the closest for the Hungarians, which just shows, how far from other languages Hungarian is ;) The thing is emigrants from Ural who came to what's now called Finland didn't meet too many other tribes and this language seems to be closer to the pre-Uralic, while Hungarians met different nations, mostly Turks and it has influences of those.

BTW - the closest languages to Hungarian are... Khanty and Mansi - do you guess, in what sport city you can meet these two?

Let me take a wild guess and say, Khanty-Mansiysk, or as one speaking Khanty would call the town/city "Ёмвоҷ, Yomvoḉ" and in Mansi "Абга, Abga"

47 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I can help you with Hungarian and Polish. Russian is also on my "to learn" list, in second place, after Italian, before "something Scandinavian", French (which I'm a little bit afraid of), Spanish and Dutch. I even started Italian, but I'm terribly bad at learning languages alone (while I am really good at learning languages as a rule, which seems strange to me). Finnish is far beyond my interest and after a year of learning it I just know I don't want to :)

You are really a polyglot, Vojtas! :yikes:

It's been long since I last practiced Hungarian. Three years ago I lived with a girl from Slovakia, she was Slovak-Hungarian, so I tried to learn some Hungarian from her. But to no one's suprise, Hungarian is very difficult to learn. She lost her patience with me after some time. At least I tried, but English was just a much easier language to use between each other. 

Funny you have learned Hungarian, but Finnish don't have you interest? Did you get too frustrated with learning Hungarian that you didn't want to learn another Uralic language? :p

If you one day try to learn Icelandic I will say good luck. Hopefully you will survive the madness of this language. 

Edited by Wumo