website statistics

Men's Handball AHF Asian Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

Totallympics

Results so far

:QAT 49-14 :HKG

:KSA 35-24 :IND

:IRI 28-27 :KOR

:BRN 26-21 :KUW

I always thought if one day, 1) we can gather all of our top players, 2) hire a high level foreign coach, 3) with good preparation, we can win the gold in Asia and compete with 2nd/3rd tier European teams. our handball always misses at least one of these 3 items. this time all of them together :lol: half of our players in Europe didn't get released by their clubs (hard to believe that, probably just an excuse for lack of commitment) we have an inexperienced Iranian coach and they just got together and came to Qatar (some players even joined the team 3 days ago)

and yet this team managed to beat South Korea !! :yikes: we didn't beat Korea in past few years even with better squads. this is more than just surprising to me. Iran won't qualify for the Olympics for sure but that win was great.

Edited by MHSN

2nd round

:QAT 40-10 :IND

:KSA 41-16 :HKG

:KOR 36-32 :KUW

:BRN 29-26 :IRI

Qatar and Saudi Arabia are already in the semifinal. surprise surprise. (thanks to the funny draw)

in other group all 4 teams are still alive. and even Bahrain is not qualified yet.

after beating South Korea I was hoping for a 2nd place finish behind Qatar (to qualify for the Qualification tournament) but that's impossible now. but still they played better than my expectations and what a pity, if it wasn't for some silly mistakes at the end Iran could even win the match. only if we had our complete team here :facepalm::wall:  whenever Bahrain had one man less, instead of using the opportunity they tried to rush in attack, turned the ball over and gifted easy goals to Bahrain. at some point I was hoping Bahrain never gets 2min suspension (and I'm not kidding)

Bahrain lost to Korea by 1 goal which eliminated Iran even before the last game. :( in battle of already eliminated teams Iran almost won the match by a last second goal but those European referees (who were supposed to be good) made a stupid mistake and annulled Iran's goal. TV replay clearly shows the ball went into the net at 29:59. that wasn't important for Iran or Kuwait but very important for Bahrain. now they have to face Qatar in the semis

Semifinals:

:QAT vs :BRN

:KOR vs :KSA

Just now, MHSN said:

Bahrain lost to Korea by 1 goal which eliminated Iran even before the last game. :( in battle of already eliminated teams Iran almost won the match by a last second goal but those European referees (who were supposed to be good) made a stupid mistake and annulled Iran's goal. TV replay clearly shows the ball went into the net at 29:59. that wasn't important for Iran or Kuwait but very important for Bahrain. now they have to face Qatar in the semis

Semifinals:

:QAT vs :BRN

:KOR vs :KSA

Is Qatar still 'Qatar' in men's handball (like their world championships miracle team) or is it more like actually Qatar nowadays? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Is Qatar still 'Qatar' in men's handball (like their world championships miracle team) or is it more like actually Qatar nowadays? :p 

They are still 'Qatar' :d but some of their naturalized players are getting old. so maybe not strong as before.

still Bahrain almost beat the same 'Qatar' at the Asian Games final. (Qatar won in overtime eventually) I think Bahrain's chance isn't completely zero . for some reasons they always challenge Qatar.

but Bahrain didn't look great in this tournament so far. they lost to Korea and almost lost to Iran. still I think the only team in Asia capable of beating Qatar is Bahrain.

surprise surprise, Bahrain just beat Qatar to face South Korea in the final. :yikes:

Bahrain played great from start to finish and if it wasn't for some miraculous saves from Qatar GK Saric the gap could be 7-8 goals. well I guess it was just our bad luck Bahrain had a bad day against South Korea to eliminate Iran :( (folks here think Bahrain lost intentionally which is nonsense I watched the match)

and that big mistake from the refs in IRN-KUW match also changed lots of things here, they did a favor to all those teams in intercontinental Qualification group by letting Qatar and Bahrain play in the semifinal and not the final. I'm sure in Asia only Bahrain can beat Qatar, they are just a bad matchup for Qatar. Bahrain-Korea will be close but I think Bahrain will win this time.

and special thanks to whoever made the seeding for the draw, Qatar and KSA only had to beat Hong Kong and India in the group round !!! :facepalm: