website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing FIS Ski Tour 2020

Totallympics

I noticed multiple athletes were doing something with their skis, pulling one over the other, not sure how to explain it properly in English...it's a motion like sharpening something, like a sword. Poorly waxed? If anyone finds some news, I'm really interested what happened with Bolshunov, was it really just tiredness?

5 minutes ago, Kirkpatrick said:

I noticed multiple athletes were doing something with their skis, pulling one over the other, not sure how to explain it properly in English...it's a motion like sharpening something, like a sword. Poorly waxed? If anyone finds some news, I'm really interested what happened with Bolshunov, was it really just tiredness?

At which point in the race, do you know?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

At which point in the race, do you know?

Found one instance, a Russian is doing it at 26:35 of ES player ambient sound recording. Just after 5.0 km checkmark in race. Seen it with a different athlete as well, but really no idea where in race.

1 minute ago, Kirkpatrick said:

Found one instance, a Russian is doing it at 26:35 of ES player ambient sound recording. Just after 5.0 km checkmark in race. Seen it with a different athlete as well, but really no idea where in race.

Right, let's get our resident expert @brunamoura in, I'll send a video of the Russian dude (found him) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutos atrás, heywoodu disse:

Right, let's get our resident expert @brunamoura in, I'll send a video of the Russian dude (found him) :p 

?

We do that to remove the snow that gets stuck in the classic skis due to the grip wax (which is kind of a very sticky glue).

What happens is: we (skiers) have to stay the more we can just inside the classic track, because there the snow is compact, so it doesn't get stuck in the grip wax. When we step outside, even if it's just for 1 second, the snow (in this case, in flakes, because outside of the track) can get picked by the glue. If that happens and the snow stays in the glue, apart from losing the glide of the skis, you can also fall because the skis brake suddenly while you are trying to glide (like some jolts) so the skiers have no other option than stop and clean it up.

Sometimes, that can happen even if you stay all the time inside the track (you know, those two lines). It happens when it's snowing a lot, for example.

You can see that before the start of a classic race, the skiers move their legs a lot. It's not because of nervousness, adrenaline, etc, but because if the skis stay still while you are standing on it, the snow can get stuck under the skis the same way. ?

Edited by brunamoura