website statistics

Women's Water Polo LEN European Championship 2020

Totallympics

Good 1st leg for our girls.

:SVK - :TUR  19-9

Hopefully the 10 goals lead will be enough before the return match in Istanbul in 2 weeks for the historic qualification. and what a school this would be for our young girls, since our team is almost entirely composed of juniors lol :bounce:

cyg_16M2Q4CfwGtOo-APNw~Tr-ner-Milan-Henk

Spoiler

LIuQ6ftWTbOvukWWZlB8uQ~Hr-ky-Slovenska-v

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, hckosice said:

2 Goals :woohoo:

:SVK - :RUS  2-31

That's one better than 1 :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

There are 6 automatic qualifiers. plus 12 teams played in qualifying. that's only 18 teams. There are 55 countries in Europe. The others (like Great Britain, Sweden, Belgium, etc) aren't even allowed to qualify?

I never understood this, sometimes I see Asian or African championships (in any sports) with 9 teams, without qualifying. Why not 8 or 10? And the other 40+ don't even have a chance to be there. 

49 minutes ago, Pifta said:

There are 6 automatic qualifiers. plus 12 teams played in qualifying. that's only 18 teams. There are 55 countries in Europe. The others (like Great Britain, Sweden, Belgium, etc) aren't even allowed to qualify?

I never understood this, sometimes I see Asian or African championships (in any sports) with 9 teams, without qualifying. Why not 8 or 10? And the other 40+ don't even have a chance to be there. 

It's not so much that they were excluded, it's because they didn't apply to compete. It's quite expensive to travel, especially in team sports.

54 minutes ago, Pifta said:

I think I wrote it to somebody from your country a few months ago about that - you in Hungary won't understand the situation in most of the countries. In your country you have a big waterpolo event in almost every year, you have your league in the national TV, the LEN Cup and Champions League as well, your players are nominated to the best sportspeople of the country... On the contrary we have for example your "jó barát" - Poland - with six teams playing in league but one absolutely favorite for the win. Still, last time a Polish club played in Champions League qualifications was like... three or four seasons ago. Girls in waterpolo exist only until some age (max. 16 I suppose) and they play in the co-ed teams with boys. The only one who is playing is in a Slovakian league. Poland has just one professional player - goalkeeper who is retiring these days. The national team of men didn't enter the Euro qualifications because the money is so short they could not have prepared even for the qualification tournament in a way they could do anything positive (the words of our coach I talked with personally). That's totally other world and I think there is much more countries like Poland than like Hungary in a matter of waterpolo.

It's not only about water polo. We can say the same about cricket or netball or ...

I think no other sport other than football has 200 teams trying to quality for the world cup. If you can find a handful of people who know the rules, you can already play matches. The players don't have to be professionals, even I could be there.

Perfect example was the Oceanian Weightlifting championship. 1st Australia, 2nd New Zealand and noone else. There is nobody in the rest of the 12 countries who can lift at least 5 kg? That automaticly means a bronze.