web
analytics

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

• Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In | Create an Account

Totallympics

Biathlon IBU Cup 2019 - 2020

And it’s not just Slavic languages where people have weird names.  I remember a 70s Dutch footballer called Zuurbier (sour beer) and there are a few Speksnijders - ie blubber cutter on a whaling ship!  :yikes:

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

There was a Russian lady 400m runner called Krivoshapka - Crooked Hat.  Also a few Chernousov/Chernousovas = Black mouth.

That's interesting. In Croatian, Krivoshapka would be similar to "wrong paw". :d

All King Victor Emmanuel's Show Horses Can Make Really Beautiful People Fall

Just now, Grassmarket said:

And it’s not just Slavic languages where people have weird names.  I remember a 70s Dutch footballer called Zuurbier (sour beer) and there are a few Speksnijders - ie blubber cutter on a whaling ship!  :yikes:

Speksnijder is literally just 'bacon cutter', nothing to do with a whaling ship or blubber (anymore) :d 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

Not to forget IJsbrand (icefire). :evil:

All King Victor Emmanuel's Show Horses Can Make Really Beautiful People Fall

And to keep it at least a tiny bit on-topic: Chardine Sloof --> Chardine Hard Worker Who Is Disrespected :p 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Speksnijder is literally just 'bacon cutter', nothing to do with a whaling ship or blubber (anymore) :d 

Yes, I know, but according to Herman Melville (Moby Dick) a Speksnijder was indeed a blubber cutter.  However, in today’s IBU race there was actually an Italian girl called Lardschneider, which is the same thing.

Edited by Grassmarket

3 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yes, I know, but according to Herman Melville (Moby Dick) a Speksnijder was indeed a blubber cutter.  However, in today’s IBU race there was actually an Italian girl called Lardschneider, which is the same thing.

Lardschneider crashed into a certain Brazilian in one of the earlier IBU Cups this season, so boooo :mad:

• Haha 1

Shame we don't have many :FIN members. I recall Krista Lahteenmaki's name was supposed to mean something like "Tree by the bay" :d

"Lahti" in Finnish means "bay" :coffee:

Just now, Monzanator said:

Shame we don't have many :FIN members. I recall Krista Lahteenmaki's name was supposed to mean something like "Tree by the bay" :d

"Lahti" in Finnish means "bay" :coffee:

@Finnator123 would like to have a word with you :p 

• Like 1

what about the most catholic name in biathlon Martin "Lord´s prayer" :p