website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

The upcoming World Cup in Nove Mesto will be held without spectators due to the COVID-19-virus. 

https://www.ceskenoviny.cz/zpravy/svetovy-pohar-v-biatlonu-bude-v-novem-meste-na-morave-bez-divaku/1860802?utm_source=www.seznam.cz&utm_medium=sekce-z-internetu

Edited by Wumo

33 minutes ago, Wumo said:

Gonna be a major problem for the organizing committee, The organizers will lose a significant profit thanks this decision, as tickets for 22 million Czech crowns have been sold so far. About 30,000 fans were supposed to come.

Nah, I can't understand this decision, because we're letting it control our lives and the whole virus is painted 20 times scarier than it actually is. 

Nove Mesto is known for their wonderful crowds and that is just a smack to the face for biathlon. 

The real problems of the virus is going to be the economic crisis that countries affected are going to have to face.

10 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Nah, I can't understand this decision, because we're letting it control our lives and the whole virus is painted 20 times scarier than it actually is. 

Nove Mesto is known for their wonderful crowds and that is just a smack to the face for biathlon. 

The real problems of the virus is going to be the economic crisis that countries affected are going to have to face.

I agree that the economy is going to take a massive hit.  When I said I understand, that does not mean that I agree.  I think that this is one of those no win situations.  If you have the event like normal, people get mad at the Czech federation being irresponsible.  If you do not host it, people say that you are caving to the fear mongering.  So this seems to be the middle course.  There is a chance there in the US that March Maddness will be held without fans in attendance.  That would be huge.

12 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

If you have the event like normal, people get mad at the Czech federation being irresponsible. 

Well, It is not the Czech federation´s decision, it was the Czech Government who decided after yesterdays first 3 cofirmed cases in the country and todays early morning sudden closing of some schools because of a teacher apparently being in contact with one of the patients.  the Czech government subsequently banned to conduct competitions with the presence of fans.

Tracks in Nove Mesto are looking terrible. In fact, they're almost looking non-existing, it's just a brownish mess of what maybe once was snow :cry: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Tracks in Nove Mesto are looking terrible. In fact, they're almost looking non-existing, it's just a brownish mess of what maybe once was snow :cry: 

so... home advantage for Lithuania???

Well, a bit off topic, but the Poles had it a bit worse. IEM Katowice was without crowd attendance and they usually have 100k+ attendance numbers to boast about. With all of the refunded tickets, I can't imagine what kind of financial mess that was.