website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And when you go (way) further back in time, you find the Dutch anthem where the main verse - the one that's generally sung - ends with "The King of Spain....I've always honoured" :p 

The Marseillaise has about a dozen verses, fortunately they don’t all get sung, although I think children have to learn them at School.  British anthem has about five, but we don’t bother about the one where God sends General Wade to crush the rebellious Scots.

12 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Technically speaking Wilhelm Orange was a German, right? :p

Orange is in France, near Avignon.  For a very long time, up until about the 1670s, it was actually ruled by the Dutch, and lots of the streets, buildings etc still have Dutch names.

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And when you go (way) further back in time, you find the Dutch anthem where the main verse - the one that's generally sung - ends with "The King of Spain....I've always honoured" :p 

My favourite example of this is the St Jan’s Kerk in Gouda.  On one side you have a set of stained glass windows celebrating His Catholic Majesty King Phillip II of Spain defending the One True Apostolic Faith against those those heathen heretical dogs, the rebellious hell-bound Calvinistic zeeguezen, the Dutch.  One the other side, a set of stained glass windows celebrating the heroic divinely-inspired Dutch burgers defending the noble cause of religious liberty against that bloodthirsty tyrant and enemy of popular freedom, King Phillip II of Spain.

il y a 16 minutes, Grassmarket a dit :

The Marseillaise has about a dozen verses, fortunately they don’t all get sung, although I think children have to learn them at School.  British anthem has about five, but we don’t bother about the one where God sends General Wade to crush the rebellious Scots.

No, they don't :p At best, people will know a bit about the 6th verse 'lilberté, liberté cherie' and that's it. No one knows the others (I didn't even know we had so many before reading this thread)

Edited by De_Gambassi

il y a 17 minutes, Grassmarket a dit :

Nope there are only 7 verses and the 7th "le couplet des enfants" (verse of the children) is quite recent. We're supposed to learn the first one at school though I don't remember having such a course back then. Usually you get to know it by watching sport :p

This PGS in Sestrieres was ridiculous :lol: 

How come the highest-ranked athletes aren't allowed to choose the course? Or are they and was every single one of them so dumb they picked the obviously slower red course?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This PGS in Sestrieres was ridiculous :lol: 

How come the highest-ranked athletes aren't allowed to choose the course? Or are they and was every single one of them so dumb they picked the obviously slower red course?

The track was decided by draw. Welcome FIS rules :bye: