website statistics

South Asian Games 2019

Totallympics

3 countries with population in the top 10 .... India 2nd , Pakistan 5th & Bangladesh 10th ....  Could have been a cracker of an event......    If you go back 60 yrs India and Pakistan were head to head at the Asian Games...the SA games could have been exciting ............But today India can win medals at will in all events even if we send our 5th stringers I feel..... Pakistan is the definition of a failed and sports is just a metaphor of its fall......... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

But still we send 1st string teams in many sports. I remember watching Sindhu and Srikanth in badminton and also top athletes.Some sports like cricket, football, paragliding ,taekewondo , squash, swimming ,kabaddi will be nice to watch. Also important will be India vs Pakistan in volleyball as the 2 teams could face in Olympic Qualifiers next year. Weightlifting has Olympic points added. 

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

But still we send 1st string teams in many sports. I remember watching Sindhu and Srikanth in badminton and also top athletes.Some sports like cricket, football, paragliding ,taekewondo , squash, swimming ,kabaddi will be nice to watch. Also important will be India vs Pakistan in volleyball as the 2 teams could face in Olympic Qualifiers next year. Weightlifting has Olympic points added. 

And Sindhu lost at that time.. shocking

33 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

We had sent 1st string teams because it was held in Guwahati and it was imperative that the event gets more audience and become a success. In hockey we had sent a second-string team.

I doubt that this time with Olympics near we would send a strong team because there's hardly any competition

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

3 countries with population in the top 10 .... India 2nd , Pakistan 5th & Bangladesh 10th ....  Could have been a cracker of an event......    If you go back 60 yrs India and Pakistan were head to head at the Asian Games...the SA games could have been exciting ............But today India can win medals at will in all events even if we send our 5th stringers I feel..... Pakistan is the definition of a failed and sports is just a metaphor of its fall......... 

Its a real pity that the most populated region in the world can't produce decent athletes of international level. Atleast now our prime minister (who understands sports is a tool of soft power) and sports minister are focused on sports. We have had many movements like Khelo India, FitIndia, Baby leagues for football etc to promote sports and unearth new talent. India has hosted many international events and looking to bid for 2026 Youth Olympic Games. I am optimistic of India hosting the Olympics in my lifetime

Pakistan has barely any funds for any sports federations and could hardly send any athletes for World Championships for wrestling, boxing, athletics, etc. Bangladesh is somewhat slowly progressing and in 2016 for first time could qualify an athlete which otherwise they receive Tripartite inviations.

Sri Lanka has few participations in athletics and weightlifting, is a force in rugby in Asia. Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives are too small states and have seen little progress

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

:BHU would be next best after :NEP, then :IND

I think :BHU hosting it is a burden on them and it requires a lot of infrastructure.

:SRI is having its own problem. :wMDV: is not politically stable to host it. :BAN May not be interested. :PAK hosting is not an option  as most of the countries will be apprehensive about sending the team to the country.

We all know why :AFG is not hosting.

2 hours ago, Shravan Kumar said:

I think :BHU hosting it is a burden on them and it requires a lot of infrastructure.

:SRI is having its own problem. :wMDV: is not politically stable to host it. :BAN May not be interested. :PAK hosting is not an option  as most of the countries will be apprehensive about sending the team to the country.

We all know why :AFG is not hosting.

:AFG does not compete anymore.

6 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Wouldn't India be considered a bigger fail? 28 medals all time for the second most populous nation is pretty embarrassing imo.

4 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Sports minister Sonowal wanted to host a grand event in his home state before state elections. So, he and BAI President Himanta basically forced Badminton players to play in SAG. 

Just now, intoronto said:

:AFG does not compete anymore.

Wouldn't India be considered a bigger fail? 28 medals all time for the second most populous nation is pretty embarrassing imo.

I think comparing India with Pakistan the Asian stage is a fair stage 

but look at the Asians  stats for a minute AG -1954 ( just after independence ) ....India 17 medals ( 5G ) , Pakistan 13 ( 5G) - head to head and this was the case for the next 12 years or so  ..............

Skip to 2018 - last Asian games ......... India 70 Medals ( 16 G ) ......... Pakistan 4 medals ( all bronze )............ You can see there is no comparison as to who is doing worse in sport ...... stats similar for commonwealth games 

Coming to Olympic games 

our nadir was in the 60s to 90s ........we went down in all the sports terribly of course  hockey was the exemplar ......but now we are on an upswing and I think 2020 is the olympics we will arrive on the world stage and I think ( mark my words ) we will probably have our first double digit score in the olympics and it will get only better in 2024 ........

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi