website statistics

Nations that Can Win their First Olympic Medal at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

LDOG

Just now, LDOG said:

Details? Doesn't ring a bell to me.

Women’s 800m. Performed decently on the Diamond League circuit. Won the 2017 Jeux De La Francophonie. Made the semifinals in Doha.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

:SOL have Mary Lifu (or a similar name) that has a good chance. Also did well at the 2017 AIMAG and 2019 Pacific Games. She may have won a Commonwealth Games medal as well, but I can’t remember.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

:PNG have a very good women’s weightlifter, but I can’t remember her name. She should have a legitimate chance. I’d be surprised if she didn’t challenge for a medal.

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Why removing Armenia and Belarus? Are they forbidden to compete at the Olympics in weightlifting?

no but because of the number of doping cases they had. they are limited to send only 1 male weightlifter (for BLR it's 100% and for ARM it's 99%) and I'm quite sure both countries are going to use that lone quota in men's 109kg. and they will battle each other for the gold medal. while at +109kg it will be silver at best.

I wrote a long post about it . this is a funny situation ,

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Why removing Armenia and Belarus? Are they forbidden to compete at the Olympics in weightlifting?

Well :ARM can’t have two lifters in one weight class under the new rules I believe...

:ARM was also in that China, Kazakhstan, etc. group that got banned for a while. Not sure about Belarus

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

:PNG have a very good women’s weightlifter, but I can’t remember her name. She should have a legitimate chance. I’d be surprised if she didn’t challenge for a medal.

It's Dika Toua, the first female Olympic lifter to lift weight. She has lifted 181kg, and has done 185 in training. She has won CWG gold and silver in 53kg then dropping to 49kg .

Currently she is 8th best in world. North Korea is almost surely gonna miss this category for others, hence 3rd is Beatriz Pirron of Dominican Republic at 187kg. That is well within reach. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

Some of these prospects listed are just way too optimistic. And even with such optimistic standards, Mali in 3x3 basketball is just ridiulous. They never even took part at WC. Their ranking is very high so they probably are not even eligible to enter any qualification tournament. And finally, 3x3 basketball has very limited pool of favorites, much like the regular basketball... So Mali's chance of a medal is not 1%, it's not even 0.1% or 0.001%. It 0%.

#banbestmen

hace 5 horas, dcro dijo:

Some of these prospects listed are just way too optimistic. And even with such optimistic standards, Mali in 3x3 basketball is just ridiulous. They never even took part at WC. Their ranking is very high so they probably are not even eligible to enter any qualification tournament. And finally, 3x3 basketball has very limited pool of favorites, much like the regular basketball... So Mali's chance of a medal is not 1%, it's not even 0.1% or 0.001%. It 0%.

Eh I remember last time we didn't even list here the jordanian medalist and also that a universality shot put athlete from Congo was 4th, so... I don't think I should tighten the criteria. Otherwise the list would be 7 people and this thread would be boring.

As for Mali, are you certain they have no chance left to qualify? Like, there aren't any more events to earn ranking points? (How far away are they from a place at the OQT btw?).