website statistics

Nations that Can Win their First Olympic Medal at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

LDOG

:MLI might have a chance in women’s 3x3 Basketball (assuming they qualify). They had some good results in 2017, but their form hasn’t been the same since. I still wouldn’t rule them out if they qualify.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, phelps said:

well, if Berti qualifies through the next european champs, they have a shot at a medal in the mixed team trap event...

it's still a long shot, but we can't rule it out yet...

You really think San Marino could deny Italy next year? :p

#banbestmen

Justo ahora, Olympian1010 dijo:

What about :LIE they have a decent young swimmer I think?

Oh Lichtenstein, the thread killer anomaly :p I will include them in the list, but apart from the others.

It would help me if you can name the athlete and the event in which they compete.

Edited by LDOG

35 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Oh Lichtenstein, the thread killer anomaly :p I will include them in the list, but apart from the others.

It would help me if you can name the athlete and the event in which they compete.

He surely means Julia Hassler, she is pretty good over long freestyle distances, especially 1500m, but she should not be good enough to seriously compete for a medal. I think even qualification for final would be a surprise (although no sensation)

Justo ahora, LowerSaxony dijo:

He surely means Julia Hassler, she is pretty good over long freestyle distances, especially 1500m, but she should not be good enough to seriously compete for a medal. I think even qualification for final would be a surprise (although no sensation)

Yeah, looking at her times it seems like quite the stretch but LIE doesn't have anything better and it's still a OQT after all.

My criteria for inclusion here will be the following:

Individual sports that qualify by mark: anyone that has already achieved OQ time/score/height/distance or that we think is likely to.

Other individual sports: anyone that has had a top 8 result at a Wch or OG over the last 4 years (since 2015). If there is a particular world-level event in the sport that isn't WCh or OG but gathers most of the world's best athletes, I'll also consider those results.

Team sports: any team with a top 8 result at the latest world championship. I'm taking only the latest because there are always retirements that can greatly affect the level of a team over time. Exceptions: Men's football, since U23 has no World Championship and Basketball 3x3 since it's new and doesn't seem like very organized to me yet (no african or american nations at latest women's WC for example).

Edited by LDOG

Just now, LDOG said:

My criteria for inclusion here will be the following:

Individual sports that qualify by mark: anyone that has already achieved OQ time/score/height/distance or that we think is likely to.

Other individual sports: anyone that has had a top 8 result at a Wch or OG over the last 4 years (since 2015). If there is a particular world-level event in the sport that isn't WCh or OG but gathers most of the world's best athletes, I'll also consider those results.

Team sports: any team with a top 8 result at the latest world championship. I'm taking only the latest because there are always retirements that can greatly affect the level of a team over time. Exceptions: Men's football, since U23 has no World Championship and Basketball 3x3 since it's new and doesn't seem like very organized to me yet (no african or american nations at latest women's WC for example).

For 3x3 Basketball I’d say go off World Series and World Cup

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela