website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

58 minutes ago, MHSN said:

actually that's more . the loser receives 1 point in FIBA tournaments. with losing by forfeit you receive 0. so even losing 120-29 (the way India lost to Japan) is better than losing 20-0.

I highly doubt you didn't know that yourself :d

I do, but I forgot about it when writing the above message :p

56 minutes ago, dcro said:

I just don't get why women's basketball no longer has continental places. I mean, what the hell?

Africa is very much unjustly robbed of their place.

Not sure about that, I think the 2 African teams will be placed in the same group at the OQT to ensure that one of them will qualify.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I just don't get why women's basketball no longer has continental places. I mean, what the hell?

Africa is very much unjustly robbed of their place. Since 1996 we have seen :COD:SEN:NGR:MLI:ANG all taking part in women's tournament. It's pretty much the only team event where Africa doesn't send the same team over and over again...

not only...they did show at the last world cup that the best African teams are not so poor...now we have at least NGR and SEN who are even better than some European and Panamerican team (SEN beat LAT + NGR beat ARG, TUR and GRE last year...and even when they lost, they did it by a reasonable margin -except for NGR being thrashed by the USA in the quarterfinals)...

there are sports granting very weak teams places because of Home and/or Continental representation...and where they are technically entitled to have something safe, they don't get it...:facepalm::wall:

Edited by phelps

China hosting a tournament even if they probably won't qualify to the OQT :mumble:

Edit: they will host only if they qualify: https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-olympic-qualifying-tournaments-hosts-announced-for-2020

Edited by Dunadan

Asia/Oceania Pre-Qualifiers

:CHN China, :KOR South Korea, :AUS Australia advance to the actual Olympic Qualification Tournaments (together with :JPN Japan, who were already automatically qualified as OG hosts) from this area...

African Pre-Qualifiers

:NGR Nigeria and, surprise, surprise :MOZ Mozambique advance to the actual Olympic Qualification Tournaments from this region...

Panamerican Pre-Qualifiers

the final day is still to be played, but :CAN Canada and :USA United States are already sure to advance to the next round...the last 2 teams will be determined by tonight's matches (:CUB vs :PUR in Edmonton and :ARG vs :BRA in Bahia Blanca)...

Edited by phelps