website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2019

While there are certainly users who intend to appreciate songs irregardless of their language, there are some pretty clear patterns going on every edition. Maybe because users who appreciate foreign entries usually end up awarding completely different songs?

Anyway, in these 13 editions we have in general witnessed name-recognizing patterns, English songs nesting in the top half, regular friendliness towards debuting/returning nations. Oh, and famous songs underperforming, probably because everyone freaked out when Zombie had a victory lap for the entire contest. :p

Take our Danish hosts for example. They are pretty good at switching between English and Danish songs. And yet, all of their four top 10 finishes were achieved when they entered a song in English, I believe.

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

12 pts: :AUS I mean come on, one of the best songs of the decade 

Gets me an easy podium! I have lots more up my sleeve. I don't think Riptide was the best song this contest but it's the most well known. I should of went with another song from Vance Joy. Dream Your Life Away had multiple songs I could see win TISC.

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

While there are certainly users who intend to appreciate songs irregardless of their language, there are some pretty clear patterns going on every edition. Maybe because users who appreciate foreign entries usually end up awarding completely different songs?

Anyway, in these 13 editions we have in general witnessed name-recognizing patterns, English songs nesting in the top half, regular friendliness towards debuting/returning nations. Oh, and famous songs underperforming, probably because everyone freaked out when Zombie had a victory lap for the entire contest. :p

Take our Danish hosts for example. They are pretty good at switching between English and Danish songs. And yet, all of their four top 10 finishes were achieved when they entered a song in English, I believe.

Pretty good? I believe we've had 2 songs in Danish (Kris Herman and CV Jørgensen) :p

But here are my personal votes: 

12 pts. :GBR - The Stone Roses have played the by far worst concert I've ever been to, but I still love their music, I would have selected She Bangs the Drums instead, but still a great song and I'm really sad that it didn't end up better.

11 pts. :NED - What can I say? Congratulations! I'm not always a big fan of the "electro swing" idea, but this one put me in a great mood.

10 pts. :NOR - Morten Harket has one of the greatest vocals of popular music (if you ask me). I would have prefered some A-ha song, but he has some very decent solo songs as well and this is a beauty.

9 pts. :POR - Beautiful vocals and beautiful song

8 pts. :LTU - I hated this one the first time (not quite enough to cut it, though) but it really grew on me, especially the chorus. 

7 pts. :MLT - I actually think this was the first song of this year to get stuck in my mind. Luckily for fine reasons.

6 pts. :AUS - Well. A very fine song that went up and down during my time trying to decide. Never really listened that much to the song though it's pretty famous in Denmark as well.

5 pts. :IRL - Started as my main contender for breaking the top 3 and I still really like the celtic style and her voice, but when I heard it some more times, it felt a bit too much like the same over and over, though still very nice.

4 pts. :ARG - Not the best of best, but I enjoyed the song and. Very clearly influenced by some of the greats of british music, the song makes me think of both The Verve and David Bowie,  Too bad that it didn't end up with any points from us. 

3 pts. :HUN  - A nice, calm song. Folk music with some more modern inspiration.

2 pts. :CHN - I feel really sad that this one ended up 2nd to last. Maybe not the most modern song, but I really enjoyed the vocals and the piano.

1 pt. :SWE - I feel ashamed by myself for only giving Abba 1 point. But I'm really more of a "The Visitors" kind of guy and Mamma Mia simply didn't feel like the right thing for me this time.

My reserves were :USA , :MEX , :NZL and :FIN while :ALG , :ITA , :ESP and :BRA were in the mix as well.